1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa WD800 The Ultimate Loud Portable Practice Amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by armyadarkness, May 9, 2019.

1. I am ultra impressed!!

Super light, 40lbs with cables, 19" tall, 15″ wide, deep, punchy tone for days, 400 watts as it sits, 800 with more cabs (the ability to add 3 more cabs), the head happily pulls double duty for large gigs on top of my Mesa PH412’s, and it’s made in America!

I started out wanting the best sounding practice amp, in a very small light package.
    • All-tube sound.
    • Solid State for low maint/ high reliability.
    • A head that could also be used for large gigs.
    I can’t believe how good it sounds and how loud it is. As a player who normally runs all tubes (V4B, Heritage SVT, Strategy 88) through two Mesa PH412’s, my expectations for a practice/ coffee house amp were very low.

This has got to be as close as an Earthling could possibly get to the tone that I’m used to, while staying well within my parameters for weight and size.

This rig easily sounds better than a few full stacks that I've owned, and compared to a 30 watt combo of the same size... It's like comparing a Lamborghini to a Pontiac Fiero.

At 8 ohms, the Subway 112 is rated for 400 watts, which is what the WD800 puts out at 8ohms as well... It uses those 400 watts efficiently and extremely far beyond what I perceived to be possible.

It's loud! And to say that, I mean that it sounds good loud. Very good. I pushed it hard, and it remained tight and lush the entire time. I play punk and metal, and using a G&L LB100 (pbass type) I couldn't' turn the gain over 45% or the master over 70% without passing stage volume.

Yes... It costs 3 times what a Peavey combo costs, but when you consider that you could ditch all your other rigs, and that this will carry Mesa quality and resale, the value is a no brainer.

Nice job Mesa! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    shadven, Datsgor, Slaymus and 55 others like this.
  2. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Florida
    Yay Mesa!!

Indiedog, murphy, DJ Bebop and 3 others like this.
  3. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi armyadarkness :)

Yeah, it should be okay for the bedroom. :D:laugh:

Happy New Rig Day!

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)as

DJ Bebop, Whippet, Pbassmanca and 3 others like this.
  4. Cripes bro, I texted pictures of it to you from the store!

5. Whats up bro! Yes at 400 watts, it's what I would use when my GF was napping! Man it's a loud and clear 400 too. I really couldnt get near it before it became uncomfortably loud, but still pristine tone! With shorts on, I could feel it on my legs 8 feet away. lol

6. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Florida
    I didn’t get any texts.

7. Hmmm. PM me your contact info. I sent several!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  8. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Why call it a practice amp?

Low84 and armyadarkness like this.
  9. Because that's the role that I purchased it to fill.

A good portion of my amazement with it, is it's flexibility, especially when combined with Mesa's Subway cab lineup, it makes it highly capable of performing as a practice amp, as well as a full on stadium head.

However, I did use the term "practice" generically, not literally.

I use a 100 watt, all tube, 212 for practice, which is my smallest, lightest, quietest rig... But it's a lousy rig to bring on vacation, or to my sisters house so that I can give my nephew lessons.

Historically, it's easy to make great sounding bass amps when they're all tube, weigh 100lbs, and are the size of a washing machine, but it's never been easy to sound great when you want small, light, and portable.

To me, that's where this amp shines, and why I found it remarkable. The fact that it's also perfect for festival, is an added bonus for me.

This head is suited for big loud stuff, but in my configuration, it's simply a single 12. Personally, the only other amps that I've ever owned with a single 12, were combo practice amps.

10. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I've sold my big rigs and have gone to stacked combos.
    I have a pair of Ampeg B100Rs (15"). I did the line-out mod to one of them so I can run both amps in a master-slave config.
    I've also a Mesa Walkabout Scout (12") with second 12" cab.

11. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Go Army! ( good to see your mug again )

12. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    So your Strategy had a baby? Should I even ask whom the father was?

13. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    My mini rig is only 20 pounds and brings a surprising amount of beef for what it is (Genzler Magellan 350 and Barefaced One10). But I imagine that rig sounds more like the entire herd rather than just mere beef. :eek:

Nice stuff ya got there, neighbor! :bassist:

armyadarkness likes this.
  14. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    That's great man, but honestly you must have played some weird full stacks if you are impressed with a single 12 speaker over those.

armyadarkness likes this.
  15. Since you compared it to Peavey, so will I. I bet 40 years from now it will still be going just like Peavey stuff from the 80's is now.

And I bet people will be complaining about how heavy it is.

16. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Inactive

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    ...& there you  go.gif

mikeswals, DJ Bebop and armyadarkness like this.
  17. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    Gas was turned off and now THANKS to you, gas is back on. What a great idea for a practice amp.

armyadarkness and bbh like this.
  18. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    This was my thoughts about my, now 3rd, D800... just wait until you use it live through a bigger cab.. or additional cabs

Element Zero and armyadarkness like this.
  19. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    Have you tried it through headphones? The tone is great! I was using it that way so I could hang out with Mrs. Thumpenstein last night while I was getting ready for a jam tonight.

It is just an incredibly versatile amp, from exactly what you describe to easily keeping up whatever you throw at it from a volume standpoint. I've played it with 2 guitars, drums, and keys/vox through PA and it didn't get past 11:00 on gain or master. I have a real efficient GK 212 cab and I can't imagine needing more volume than I have been able to get with that rig. If I need more, I'll use the DI. (I have not used the DI but it has great reviews from other TBers.) The feature set includes everything I could want in an amp.

The tones you can get out of the WD-800 are just amazing, from clean to the awesome tubey warmth and breakup that I chased for a while until I got mine.

Congrats on a great new rig!

20. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Nice to hear. AM I gaseous for considering swapping out my hathor 1203T for the subway 1x12???? I have the subway 2x12 and it's just amazing. Seems the subway is 3db higher sensitivity.

/\/\3phist0 and armyadarkness like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021