1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andrew 3.0, May 14, 2006.

1. Andrew 3.0

Andrew 3.0

Mar 22, 2006
    Indiana
    So yeah. I am in the market for buying a cab (the Hartke isn't cutting it) And the two companies I'm looking at is Ampeg and Mesa. I love to play pretty much anything on bass but my love is tech metal. I need an amp with punchy highs and earth shaking lows. I am thinking about either the 6 10 mesa, or the 4 12 also by Mesa.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think both Ampeg and Mesa (especially Mesa though) are a bit overpriced. What head are you using? Based on your description, I would have to recommend an Aguilar GS 412, though either of the Mesa cabs would be pretty good as well if you can afford em.

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Sounds like a description for an NV215 if I ever heard one.

4. I agree Mesa's are overpriced- but damn sick at that too- If you can afford it check out the Powerhouse 410 + 15 by Mesa that has 4 10" 's and a 15" in the middle - it's deadly. The powerhouse can handle the metal sound your looking for, I'm more into the hard rock/thrash/power metal tone and that cab can handle that. Really depends what head you put it on.

Ampeg is pretty much solid it just depends on if you want the 8X10 set up or just 4X10 ...Personally I not a huge fan of the Ampeg 15" cabs by themselves however 2 X 15" can kick some a*s.

it all depends on if you want the Mesa 4X10 and 15 set up that Cliff Burton used or Ampeg 8 X 10 set up Jason Newstead used. Also check out the Gallien-Krueger 4 X 12 that James McDonald used when he toured with Megadeth, Duff McKagan uses it for Velvet Revolver and I can't remeber who else uses it.

5. mesa my be over priced i agree, but they really seem like what your looking for. i play outta a 2x10 and 1x15 (powerhouse series) and they get enough highs to cut through my tech metal band, while maintaining thunderous lows that could break windows if my head was on 10. i do however like ampegs svt cabinets, i used to own a 4x10 from them and i loved it... it just in way compares to my mesa cabs.

my vote is definitly mesa boogie.

both of my my guitarist use mesa amps too btw.

6. bagman

bagman

Sep 28, 2005
    SE Florida
    Aguilar 412 mis the bomb. Try it first.

7. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I'm sure you meant cab, but you had me scratching my head for a second, whether you were looking for a Mesa/Ampeg cab or head.

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    A great used cab to look out for, would be a Mesa 1516.

This might be the most full range single cab that Mesa ever built.
    I've seen them selling for stupid-low prices lately. ($200-$400)
    (Like any cab, make sure it still works correctly).
    These cabs have the following speakers:1-15", 1-10", 2-6" and a adjustable horn.

Some of these had factory upgraded speakers. These were called the 1516b and 1516be models. The best and heaviest of this lineage is the 1516be road ready model. (200lbs)

When you look up the word "heavy" in the dictionary, they just show you a picture of this cab..:meh:

The road-ready models came from the factory, built into a road case with silky smooth 3" lockable and detachable casters. Many people feel that the entire line of road-ready models were Mesa's finest sounding bass cabs to date.

I have a 1516be (rr), It is truly a full range system. With my mesa 400+ to power it, this cab is very-very loud, it definitely has punchy highs and earth shaking lows, and better yet, this cab sounds and cuts through a dense stage-mix really good........:smug:

9. double ++ on this. The 1516 is the most flexible and cleanest cabinet I've ever heard live. I used a Warwick head with this cab (in Diesel format, non RR. Older version as well, without the nice 3" heavy duty castors. The ones that I had on mine were big versions of what's on most fender stuff.) for a few years before I had to pawn it to live:crying:. If I were in a different situation, I'd have another. Heavy as hell, the size of a small stand up freezer, but worth every pound if you can muscle it. I played everything from jazz to metal through that cab, and was *never* wanting for anything in the small to medium venues that I played.

Except for perhaps the exact same sound in a smaller and lighter package. :D

10. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    That's the thing about Mesa stuff. New, I would agree, they are overpriced. But Mesa has been consistently cranking out top quality stuff for something like 20 years and their older line of cabs and amps you can find used for dirt cheap sometimes and they will still be very, very high quality. I bought my mesa 400 (in a 4 space mesa road ready case) + road ready 2x15 for $500. Granted, this was about six years ago but deals are still to be had if you look.

11. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Mesa Powerhouse 1000, definitely.

12. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Some poeple are totally ignorant to the value of older Mesa gear.
    I bought my 400+/sus-4 shock case and 1516be (rr) for $500
    just four months ago.
    Here is the story about how I did it.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228154rigs

13. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Even a mesa 410 seems to rock the house.

and no offense to those with the boutique jazz cabs, but mesa are built like a rock, and have the mojo to rock. not that ive ever heard a berg NV215, and they look nice, but it just doesnt look like something that should be on stage at a metal show.

14. I have finished piecing together a Powerhouse 4x10 and Diesel 1x15 pushed by a Mesa M-Pulse 600. I tried out the Powerhouse 1000 (4x10 + 1x15 cab) and it has absolutely devistating punch and articulation, I just wanted a little more modularity, and this setup really works for me.
    The 4x10 alone isn't "warm" enough with my ultra-middy Ric 4003, and the 15 alone is just too muddy when I start getting busy. Together they're brilliant.
    Advice? Try out every cab you can. And Mesa's gear IS worth the rediculous price.

15. Mesa Powerhouse 1000 for $500.00 on craigslist/Boston

I got mine on another craigslist trade for a 4X10 classic ampeg and $200.00.. they defenitely can be had for cheap money!

also +1 to Joelb79--> bergs are also big money too!

16. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Mesa all the way! Back in '91 bought my Bass 400, and 1516 cab, and in '92 bought a 215 cab, and never since then found anything better. It is a deadly sounding rig! I still get bassists from other bands with SVT810's asking to play through my rig at shows when they hear it.

The 215 cab is something you gotta try. It's like a punch in the gut.

17. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I've had a Mesa 2x15 cab for around 7 years, its the 800 w version and I think I paid around $500 for it? And I have never been dissapointed with it. Well worth the money IMO. If I was hunting for something though I would get a powerhouse, I like to add another cab with 10's to my setup when I use this cab. But it sounds great by itself.