Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ichi9, Oct 17, 2000.

1. Ichi9

Jun 7, 2000
    I'm wondering about Mesa Boogie Bass Amps. What tone are they most well known for? Are they reliable? Are they worth the money? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  2. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Very reliable, solidly built. They are very flexible in terms of the tone pallete its possible to achieve with them. I have a mesa 400+ with two mesa cabs and LOVE them. I play aggressive doom metal with a lot of dynamics and find mesa very able to deliver. Expensive but YES worth the $.
  3. I can agree on everything, since I have a 400+ too. I dont play doom metal though. You can achieve almost any tone you want from the 400+, actually i've found all tones I was looking for. I dont know if theres a tone it cant produce ;) Try it ou to see if you like it, just take the time to figure out how the controls work.
    Good Luck!
  4. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I'll also throw in an endorsement for the MESA/Boogie BASS 400+ as I use one with MESA 4x10 and 1x15 road ready cabs which are about indestructable. Excellent tone with the best pressence in the mix I've ever had, very flexiable, great customer support. It does take some tweaking to get your sounds, the controls are very interactive, but once you get a feel for this it's easy to find the sound your after. I've played through the Mesa M-2000 head as well and that was also excellent. So try them out. Definately worth the money.
  5. jugdish

May 25, 2000
    Orange County
    I had a question on the pull knobs on both of the different preamp volumes. What do they do exactly? I can hear a difference but was just curious what it is doing. An my old SWR amp these pull knobs were there to boost. Thought I'd but this here because everyone was talking about tone.
  6. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    The pull knobs on the pre-amp volumes are bright switches that add more highs to the sound. The treble knob also pulls to shift the center treb freq lower into the high mid range and the bass knob pulls to boost the low end.

Pretty useful depending on the sound of your bass and what your going for.
  7. i also can endorse the mesa boogie 400+, great amp!! i use it with a 2 x10 w/horn on top of a 1 x15 wo/horn. i like it a real lot. question although......i switched from mesa 6l6 str 427 gc"s to the mesa svetlana str 454 6l6 gc's......any comments on these svet tubes in comparison to 5881's or in comparison to 6l6 str427 gc. is anyone else using the svets also?
  8. Hi guys. I currently use a Mesa 400+ with Svetlana 6L6's and love them. I was instantly impressed with the tone I acheived after switching out the original Mesa tubes with the Svet's. I got mine for $200 ( includes shipping ) from the tube store and don't recomend buying from Mesa; they are more expensive for no real reason. Otherwise I stand behind Mesa equipment 1000 percent. I use my 400+
    with diesal 2*15 and 6*10 cab's and can shake the foundation
    of my practive facility with that setup. GO MESA!!!!
  9. im purposely keepin my rig as portable as possible, gettin old. ya, i like the svets also. they seem to not glow as much as the 427 6l6's i was running. as far as tube prices speak to tien lawrence of mesa boogie he will discount a set of 14 tubes total (4 of which are preamps) at a rate of 25% off list price or better depending on which tubes you select, supposedly for mesa 400+ owners only, thats like $210. for most types except svets which arent that much more.......but he is a great guy and will work with you on larger orders, im sure. i used to run an swr sm 400 head at 4 ohms and booy that baby sounded nice. it did run hotter than hell and had no cooling fan, the later + models did and the 500"s did also. you could make toast on it. HOW hot do you find your mesa 400+ head runs? mesa claims how cool they run, and in comparison w/ my swr it does run alot cooler. although it does seem to warm up a bit, at 500 watts this i assume is normal, on the other hand my 65 fender bassman runs the same outputs and runs cool as a moose, i realize thats only 50 watts. if an amp is not biased properly it will run hotter. i know the 400+ has biase for life construction,...but is this absolutely true, i seem to think my amp should run abit cooler, maybe im wrong, as i said its not hot hot hot like the swr, but considerably warm+?
  10. Groovking, My 400+ use to run hot until I installed two A/C fans mounted on the back of my rack. Now it runs just above luke warm. I found out that the on-board fan is not very effective when the head is placed in a rack mount case.