Mesa4x10 vs Eden

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Insomniac, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Eden 4X10 XLT

27 vote(s)
  2. Mesa 4x10

19 vote(s)
  1. Hey everyone...ive narrowed it down to 2 4x10s for a hard rock/metal setting...the eden XLT 410 or the Mesa 410....the new ones...i need advice...the mesa cheaper but how will it cut thogh and handle mids?
  2. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I've owned the Diesel series Mesa 4x10 and currently own an Eden D-410XLT. The Eden will be better in a hard rock / metal setting because it has pronounced low mids. In addition, it handles more power and weighs less!

Eden will win the poll. You'll see.
  3. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Munji would say exactly what i said.
  4. Mesa has a nicer color!

I mean the tone!:D
  5. Heeheee,

I've never tried an Eden, but Mesa 0wnz j00!!!
  6. The Mesa is the only 4x10 I would ever consider owning. Beats the pants off the Eden piece.
  7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

The Mesa 410's I've tried out "breathe" real heavy, and don't cut through a mix like the Eden 410XLT or my fav, the 410XST (that thing is a monster! :D).
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I wonder how many people who voted Mesa have ever played through a D410XLT?
  9. ...uh...YEAH!!!

10. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Gotta tell you- the Mesa sounds pretty killer. Construction is the best I've seen, customer service is fantastic, and they load them with great drivers. Besides, EVERYONE has Edens on their list!:rolleyes: :D Try it with a 400+ and it'll change your life.
  11. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    I tried an Eden in the backline at a blues bar locally, and really it just kinda sounded like it was under water. My Mesa cuts way harder than that thing did. In fact, the house bassist adopted my rig for the rest of the night after my band got finished. He was running the XLT with a SM500, and my rig runs with a sansamp/plx1602, but I still don't think that it was just the amplification. The Edens do punch a bit harder than the Mesas, but don't cut as clean in my experience. Running it with the 400+ would definitely make up for the missing punch, though. The Edens I can see used for maybe a classic rock sound, nice for blues/jazz, but the modern altenative rock tone is drifting more towards the clean side with lots of harmonic overtones on the high mid/treble area, with really transparent bass. Listen to your local alternative radio station. That just happens to be the tone that the mesas produce very well, so it works well with my band. The reason the house bassist was able to get such a cool tone for blues out of my Mesa I would contribute entirely to the Sansamp.

Old school metal- go with Eden.

New alternative- Mesa's the best bet.
  12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    What, no Bag End on this list?
  13. Sorry, ive narrowed my 4X10 shootout to these two... i didnt like the Bag ends because they are really good for jazz or something like that NOT TO TAKE AWAY FROM THE CABS but i dont think the tone is really MID Driven enought for me...sorry
  14. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    umm.. i cant speak from experience, but i just thought i would add that you can order mesa cabs specifically with eden speakers.. i have read that in many places online (could be wrong, i don't know from experience, but that is what i have read)... which would lead me to believe that the engineering & construction of the cab itself is more a part of the difference in the sound being produced than the speakers are.

without ever trying one or the other, i would buy mesa.. i know that is lame, but that is what i would do based on the sole fact that every time i hear a song with bass that sounds good to me ("woah, thats great sounding bass") i look into what gear the bass player uses.. 9 times out of 10 the bassist is using mesa cabs.. actually, come to think of it, every time i have done that the bassist is using mesa cabs!

i wish i could could go try them side by side :(

then again, i am basing this on mesa cabs in general, not specifically the 410, so i will shut up now. :)
  15. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW far the Mesa cabs are ahead...

very interesting...
  16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm amazed myself...

...the Mesa 410's I've played through...well....I was happier with my Peavey's! :eek:

There are so many great 410's out there - but I just can't say the Mesa is one of them.

Great guitar stuff, just don't do it for me with the bass stuff.
  17. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i had heard about that too, the guy i bought my powerhouse 1000 cab from said he got it specially loaded with eden speakers