Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MeShell Ndegeocello on Leno

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by liran, Jun 5, 2002.

1. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hey what was the name of the song they played? Damn her bass player was freaking awesome!! One of the funkiest players I've seen in a while. If someone could tell me the name of the song I would be greatly appreciative. Im gonna go buy the album today!

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Damn it!!! I always miss the good stuff!!!

3. You mean she wasn't playing bass herself? I'm sure she would only hire someone good considering her own skills.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    If you had read the recent Bass Player with Me'Shell on the cover... ;)
    You'd know she has a new album due out + David Dyson is "her bassist".

In the past, she also used Fima Emphron(from The Screaming Headless Torsos, The Hasidic New Wave,
    etc). Now, he's bad!

5. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ahh man but this guy just had it, you know when just someone plays and it just moves u and you just think its amazing. He has that ablity of moving you with his instrument. A true gift. I've actually just realized this, people like Jaco, Jamerson, Victor Bailey, and many others have this amazing gift of just putting their soul into the music they make.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yeah, i saw it last night!!!

that dude was grooven' on that Modulus

i had to go buy the album today!!

there is some bonus stuff on her website:

the second song (audio only) is the bomb!

www.meshell.com

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    David Dyson used to be the bassist for New Kids on The Block!.......I remember seeing them on some show and thinking how badass their bassist was!
    David has a solo album out called Soulmates with some funkyass playing on it.
    Meshell rules!

8. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Does anyone know what effect he was using? I think I saw a glimpse of a white (or light colored) Boss pedal sitting up on one of the cabs or something.

9. The only white Boss stompbox of which I know is the TU-2 chromatic tuner; it'd make sense for that to be sitting on top of a cab instead of on the floor.

10. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Good point. If I'm not mistaken, I think he was using one of those "funk" effects like and envelope filter/bassballs/etc. Normally I've never cared for any of those, but that guy has really got me interested. His sound/tone was really cool and I'd be interested in the effect(s) he was running (if any).

11. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    He actually uses MTD's. Didn't want you to have the wrong info!

12. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I actually just started using my envelope filter yesterday after about 7 months of dormancy. Now I am in love with it! After taking a break for a while, I think it gives you a chance to be fresh with new ideas.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    David's a Marylander and has been using MTDs for a while. As Jerry mentioned he was with NKOTB and was actually the musical director. He's been playing with Me'Shell, who is also from the area, for a while. He's working on a project with the keyboard player in my band, who is an excellent player.

On the FX tip, I was asked to bring a Mutron III like effect to a recording session this week, took my Boss ME-8B and the Brubaker NBS-1 5 string. I'd forgotten how phat an envelope filter sounds in the mix. I'll probably start taking it on gigs. Anyone who is looking for a killer multiFX unit that has it all at a now very affordable price should check this Boss unit out.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Me'Shell's new album(just out last Tuesday) kicks some major booty...

And Gene Lake is a muther, too!

My Mu-Tron pedal is an original '70s model(given to me by an upright bassist pal).

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Hey Jim....have you heard Gene Lake's solo C.D.?
    He thumps a mean bass too!!!!

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jerry-
    Yeah, I have Lake's disc.
    Really, I was disappointed in it...I expected something more 'organic'(?). I think there's, maybe, 2 tunes that might float my boat on that disc.

As far as his bass playing...why does he sounds so much like Marcus? I was wondering if it was sampled or if he was using that Korg box with the "MM" patch selected.

17. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    The effect he used sounded like a DOD FX25 Envelope Filter. Left knob-fully clockwise, Right knob-1/2 to 3/4 clockwise, depending on your basses output.