Meshell Ndegeocello?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by funk_engineer, Oct 14, 2002.

1. I checked out her website a while back; she sounds pretty good. I assume her first name is pronounced the same as "Michelle," but how do you pronounce her last name?

I checked TicketMaster. Aside from the Tool concert I'm seeing next week in Indy, my home state of Ohio has a lot more concerts going on, including Meshell, Rev. Horton Heat, Rush, Peter Gabriel, Arturo Sandoval, Flogging Molly, and who knows what else.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"me-shell neh-day-gay-o-chelloh" (or I've also heard "shelloh")

3. natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    is that her playing with Bowie or is it the woman who played with tears for fears???
  4. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    I've never seen meshel use a volume pedal. if you wanna get a nice scope on her playing check out the rising end documentary
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You're right nate - It was Gail Ann Dorsey. (I edited my post).

I saw something else where Mark Euen (sp?), again, was the host and M'shell was playing with one of the headliners.
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would recommend Meshell's first album "Plantation Lullabyes" and her third "Bitter". They are both fantastic. Her new one seems very angry and the second "Peace Beyond Passion" never really did a whole lot for me.
  7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The new one's funky, but may offend. It seems to be her response to critics who said "Bitter" was soft.
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Plantation Lullabies and Peace Beyond Passion are my faves - they're her first 2 albums. The debut is her most original effort though.

Niggerman (on PBP) has one of the coolest drum grooves/sounds I know.
  9. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    God, fear, and money is so hot the bass lick to that and I like almost everything off the new one and the old ones are fine to. the break down in "if thats your boyfriends" always been one of my favorites