Meshell, Saadiq, Heavies... whatelse do you suggest?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by pc, Aug 23, 2003.

1. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Hey people!

I've been listening to people like this a lot lately:

Raphael Saadiq
    Brand New Heavies
    Liquid Soul

Who else do you suggest with the same groove-oriented kind of music?
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Groove Collective

From yesteryear-
    Average White Band(especially The White Album, Cut The Cake, & Soul Searching)
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

Raw Stylus (out of print I guess)
  4. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    tks JimK & JMX...

I've seen people calling this music style "acid jazz". I thought Acid Jazz were more like Guru, US3, you know, more samplings and stuff...

These guys sound more like funk to me... Am I wrong?
  5. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003

massive attack
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    medeski martin & wood
    herbie hancock

remy shand
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    or Pop Jazz even
  8. If you can stand the 80's beats - Shakatak

Also, anything with Benny Rietveld
  9. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Anybody from Philly like Jill Scott,Vivian Green,The Roots,Erykau Badu, This is where the so called Neo-Soul was originated.
    Also check out some Frankie Beverly & Maze.

Ditto on everyone else choices.

I dig's yo taste PC,keep the groove alive.
  10. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Neo-soul is a good definition.

thanks. I think I am getting sort of addicted to groove lately... ;)

Wanna try something really cool? There's this brazilian guy, Max de Castro. If you like brazilian music from the 60's, give him a try. Killer grooves! Get him on your nearest importer (or, if you prefer, on your favourite p2p ;) )
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I get confoozed by what's "Acid Jazz", too.
    The guys in the UK would probably be a better help on this.
    To me, labeling The Brand New Heavies as "Acid Jazz" seems weird; I get the 'acid' part...I don't get the "Jazz" part. IMO, it's '70s retro-R&B/Soul/Funk. I asked this before & the UK contingent responded by saying "The US is getting the watered-down version of these bands".

As far as Speddling's Herbie Hancock recommedation-
    Look for his Fat Albert Rotunda album...the tune "Wiggle Waggle" is getting a Renaissance of sorts due to the recently issued Portrait of Jaco box & the Jaco Big Band Revisted tribute.
    Fat Albert Rotunda can be had at
    That'a a great site, IMO, for some hard-to-find R&B/Funk/Jazz.
  12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    I've been listening to his 'Future 2 Future' disk a lot. I'll check out your recommendation... I've got limited exposure to his stuff.

The Acid Jazz name..... I always think of Miles's 'Bitches Brew' or 'On the Corner'... but then I was younger & wilder when first exposed to them ;)
  13. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    get anything that meshell has played on; listen to it for about 2-3 yrs, then try to groove like her.

go get anything with matt garrison on it, especially herbie hancock's "future 2 future" DVD, not the CD - matt's playing is sick!

to find out who's played on what, use this:
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bitches Brew is one of the first Fusion records; actually, yeah...I can see that & On The Corner being labeled as "Acid Jazz" vs. The Brand New Heavies.
    Another "Acid Jazz" band(according to MY definition) would be something along the lines of the Screaming Headless Torsos.

Here's a defintion of 'Acid jazz' from Stuart Nicholson's fine book, Jazz Rock: A History-
    "The DJ/media-coined genre 'Acid Jazz' is little more than a glossy handle for 1990s retro Funk, which because of its close affinity with the dance floor, is a potpourri of James Brown, '70s Disco, Soul, Rap, Easy Listening, & very New Heavies, Ronnie Jordan, US3, Gura, Digible Planets, Jamiroquai, etc"
  15. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    CHeck out any Karl Denson or Greyboy Allstars.
  16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Cool! I dig the BNH's I was first turned on to 'acid jazz' thru them and Incognito. I just hear 'Acid' and think 'Psycodelic'.

I just label it all as "Stuff I Like" :cool:

BTW: I always felt Seal rode the pop side of the 90's Acid Jazz scene, the Mrs's heard he's got a new disk coming out in Sept on the radio this morning. His homepage confirms it. Now if the BNH's would come back around :cool:
  17. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    I cant believe no one has mentioned the James Taylor Quartet? (no not THAT James Taylor;) )

Seriously funky, if your ass isnt shakin' after listening to their version of the starsky and hutch theme you must be dead.

I got a 2 cd greatest hits set recently and every track is smokin (they're also the closest band I've heard to actually deserve the label "Acid Jazz".)

check em out.
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes we can !! Acid Jazz was a record label in London that picked up tracks by artists like Jamiroquai, Brand New Heavies which were real bands and also artists like US3 who used samples.

It was just a resurgence of interest in music that was 'Jazzy' - i.e. had some intersting Jazzy chords - not just standard!

It came to be associated in people's minds with funky bands - like Incognito, who are my favourite in this genre now.

This phenomenon has carried on in London and if you go to the "Jazz Cafe" - you will see acts that you would think of as soul/funk/R&B - no Jazz whatsover !! ;)

So there is Jazz FM which is fairly popular amongst Londoners - but it usually plays this kind of stuff and no Jazz whatsoever!!

The nearest that Jazz FM gets to Jazz is DF's NightFly!!
  19. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    How about the guy that invented it all: Roy Ayers!

Also, Omar, Inner Shade, and Incognito.
  20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sorry if that last post wasn't exactly clear - so :

"Acid Jazz" is the name of an independent London-based record label which still exists - and they just chose that name for their record label, which then became synonymous with the type of acts they recorded and released - here's a link to their home page and their history (click on the "history" link at the left on the homepage) :

So JimK said : "To me, labeling The Brand New Heavies as "Acid Jazz" seems weird; I get the 'acid' part...I don't get the "Jazz" part."

Well - it's just the fact that their first releases were on the "Acid Jazz" record label - they could have been playing German Oompah music - although - of course the label owners liked funky music, so chose bands they liked!! :)