Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Meshell --what is she playing to get that tone??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by stretch80, Jan 29, 2006.

1. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    Was just listening to "Peace Beyond Passion" and MeShell has such a huge tone -- some of it clearly a 5 string. What's she playing? Anyone know? thanks! :)

2. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    ...and I'm thinking about that record - mid 90s. I think she's playing a Lakland JO right now.

3. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Mostly it's just on old Jazz. She did play a Surine Affinity on a few of the tracks though. I read a review where she talked about which tracks; regrettably I can't find it now.

http://www.surinebasses.com/affinity-i.shtml#. Kind of a Ken Smith-looking thing.

4. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    Cool. The surine is probably the tracks where it's clearly a bass w/ a low B -- unless she detuned the Jazz.

So then the question is "how to make an old Jazz sound like that!
    touch!!!

5. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    Will, I checked out Fina Dupa --nice grooves!

6. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Thanks. Actually that's not me on the recordings they have on their site though. I've been subbing for them for a few months, and just became the regular guy at the beginning of this year. We are planning a fair amount of recording this year, so it shouldn't be long before there's something new out there.

For what it's worth, the last guy had nice chops, but he used a real tubby-sounding neck pickup approach that I don't like much. I go for a more aggressive punchy midrange thing that sits a little closer in the mix, and I've been doing all I can to lay a little more space in their tunes. So far it's going well.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I believe on that CD she used a 60's stripped finish Jazz
    with flats.
    I seen her last fall 2005 she used a sunburst 1964 jazz with flats live.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    On her jazz basses, she hasn't changed the strings in over 10 years.

9. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    Cool. It's such a deep tone, but she gets good pop sound as well. Probably old-school flats (ie Labella, fender) not TIs, I would guess, if its 10 years ago...

10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I remember reading that they were '70s jazzes ... but either way ... j-bass, old flats, aguilar DB-680, and a whole lotta feel.

11. As of lately, this is her setup that someone told me in a previous thread

"Stock 64 Jazz body with a 65 Jazz neck, Labella flats, Aguilar preamp into the board in studio, Aguilar preamp into SVT live"

12. from everything ive seen meshell use:
    Warwick Corvette 4
    Cellinder Jazz
    Modulus Jazz
    Fender jazzs, a few old ones

and she plays in flat tuning i know that

amps:
    Eden WT800
    eden 15
    eden 410
    (i read that when hub toured with her she got him onto the edens)
    ampeg svt
    ampeg 810

13. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    Interesting -- so the 4 strings are detuned. Are they tuned D G C F? That would explain why I was hearing "5 string" a lot....

14. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    Anybody know if she is ever playing fretless? -- sometimes it sounds like it, but it could just be her touch.

15. she strings all her basses with flats and tunes them Eb Ab Db Gb, she also plays upright occasionally but also with some cameo appearances like marcus miller on cookie...but to be honest ive never seen or heard of her playing a 5 string or more, but im just saying i havent seen it not saying she doesnt

also if ya wanna check out more of her vocal stuff she's on basment jaxx's kish kash album

check this video out, meshell and the spirit of music sextet at montreux jazz festival....great vid to check out her technique and that tone
    http://www.synmicro.com/prod/itempics/personal/dave/Meshell.rm

16. Thats is definantly one of my favorite recordings/shows with Meshell..I ripped that performace to MP3 so I can listen to it in my car. The only thing I dont like is the sax player.. Not Ron Blake, the other guy. I dont think he plays anything melodic through that whole performance. Its all honking and screetching. Too "out there for me".

Her sound on this recording, though, is to die for..

17. oh yeah, its a hot recording....what program did you use to rip it to mp3, id love to have it on a cd..ive tried to look briefly but the internet frustrates me sometimes...

theres a few other videos id like to rip the audio from, like the roots and erykah badu on the chapelles show

18. Thats a good question, I'm not exactly sure how I did it.. If I remember right, I just setup sound forge to just record it while it was playing and then I went through and split the tracks.

There are programs out there that will extract audio, but I dont know them off of the top of my head.

Sorry

19. ahh i never thought of doin it that way....ill try cool edit pro 2 a shot :) i like that program