Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Meshell!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Wow wow wow.

I ordered 5 of her CDs on a whim, and 3 came already. Bitter, Dance of the Infidel, and Cookie. Bitter is cool, but would be more suitable when with a chick in a romantic sicha'ation. I really dig cookie, the real solid R&B groove to it, it's just really cool. My favorite though is Dance of the Infidel. It's AMAZING. It has Mr. Matt Garrison doing about half of the bass tracks, and Meshell on the others and both are amazing! The song are really.. GOOD! Wow, I was just blown away by the raw sense of music and melody in it. It's really mellow and jazzy and extremely creative! I can't wait for the other 2.

2. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I have done some posts about her already...

but to save you time, just wait until "peace beyond pasion" and "plantation lullabyes" arrives!

Just wait! You started with her more introspective and least bass heavy albums.,...they focus more on her songwriting...the next two, however....the chick is a bass goddess....simply one of the best!

You are honestly not going to believe your ears...

especially, check the bass lines on "step into the projoects"!!

3. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    There are some serious funk breaks on Lullabies...one of my fave albums for sure...that plus the killer drum tracks by David Gamson...

yumm

4. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    EVERTHING she does is a bassist's wet dream dude, and she plays ALL styles, finger,pick,slap,melodic, etc. She does some MEAN electric upright on the new album. Yeah I know what you mean about "Cookie: The Anthropolocial Mixtape", it's my fave from Meshell. WAY too funky :bassist:

5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    "Peace Beyond Passion" is just simply kill'n. I got hip to her having breakfast one morning in the Village and the tunes from this CD were playing faintly in the background. I was hanging with my lady at the time and kept getting distracted by grooves, track after track...I went out and bought the CD the same day.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

YES, YES, YES!!!!!

I got something you guys don't:

Her set live at Montreux Jazz Festival a few years ago!!! ;)

7. i love meshell.....as you may have noticed ive pushed her on here as much as i can...but cookie is by far my favourite, then comes peace beyond passion...

wait till you hear the spirit of music sextet :eek: ...someone on here linked me to a video for the set the did at the montraux jazz festival a while back and man.....i love it...meshell really does step up a notch from her solo stuff

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    www.meshell.com/cookie - here's some of the stuff.....but what I have is priceless, mwah hahahahahaahahah!!!

:D

I have about 12 songs....got em' from a "legal trade".

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    she has a groove like no other bassist.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Wot, noone digs Comfort Woman?

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I haven't really dug it yet cause i'm still groovin' on the other albums... :D

Hey, guys...don't forget the tune she did with Chaka!! Hidden classic! :)

12. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Yeah Comfort Woman is my second fave, especially the opening track!! That island groove is hypnotizing. Check out "let me hold you" off the "How Stella got her groove Back" soundtrack. HAUNTINGLY beautiful.

13. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Comfort woman is pretty cool..I actually got it about a month ago...it seems like she used a lot more synth bass though, and the songs are very slow. ...and mellow!

Its either track 3 or 4....a hit song!, but I can't remember the lyrics right now...the song should be on a surfing x-box game soundtrack...very groovy and spiritual at the same time!

Oh, and she does not rap at all on this album...but she does sing like an angel! A very big improvment, since I don't care for much rap!

14. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Speaking of Meshells hidden works....John Mellencamp!!!!
    Lenny White/w Voiceboxing-talk To ME!!!!!

15. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    I was just recently digging Meshell in "Rising Low", doing "Hammer and Nails" with the Mule. One of the coolest performances in that film imo.

/rick

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    She is one of my favorite players! I like how she evolved from the slapping on her first album to the muted palm on he latest one. She also seems to be a very giving bassist, she always has a monster bassist in her touring band, and gave Matt Garrison a lot of room on her latest :bassist:

17. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Yeah, she had David Dyson with her when I saw her. Also a great fretless player.

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I love Meshell but it seems that except for her first album, I have gooten reid of everything she has done. I will probably get some more copies, but as much I love, I mean really love her playing, she seems pretentious to me sometimes. It's like she tries to hard to be deep. Maybe I'm just to hard on her, but that aspect of her annoys me sometimes.

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    That must have been amazing!

Has anyone seen her gig when Fima Ephron (Hasdic New Wave, Screaming Headless Torsos) was playing bass?

I wish I had.

20. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    My only real problem with her is the use of the "N" word on her earlier albums...I just think it takes away from the beauty of her songs..

Other then that,she is awesome, awesome awesome!

Heck, I try not to listen too much to lyrics anyway....just the bass!!