Meshuggah heads up

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, May 30, 2005.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Catch 33 out Tues. according to the new releases email I just got.
  2. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    i preorded like 2 months ago, and totally forgot until now! I should be getting it very soon.

I downloaded it, and it's awesome.

Also, I saw some pictures live, and the bassist is playing a warwick for their tour, rather than an Ibanez. The warwick looks, and probably sounds much better.
  3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I tried to get into this band, but I just didn't see what the fuss was about. They opened for Tool and the sound was awful and that combined with the odd time polytonal riffs with mega distortion left me trying and failing to understand it.

Maybe I'll actually buy a disc and base my opinion from that instead of album snippets and my bad live experience.

Suggestions for someone trying to get into Meshuggah?
  5. They are kinda boring if you ask me...........but ive only heard like two songs though.
  6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I have it already, it's eh cool :eek: :D

And about that Warwick...the guitarists play on 8 string guitars, tuned to what? F#? E? I doub't there will be much bass to hear. They're pretty amazing, but I've never cared much about the bassparts in Meshuggah. The guitars and the drum carry the whole band.

(And while we're at it, be shure to check out Thornendahls solo project; Sol Niger Within ! Meshuggah on acid :D )
  7. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Meshuggah has a bass player? :)
  8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    +1, although a really good bassist could set themselves apart in that band.
  9. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Very strange disc. Not to say I don't love it, it's just a little different. Favorite tune off of that disc is "Through Fear We Are Unconscious". I love the studdering thingy he does.

Thanks Bliss, now I have another disc to add to the already large want/need list.
  10. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Woo new Meshuggah, they've been out of my playlist for the last few months. Man I love their stuff, maybe surprise mainstage with Unearth and Lamb of God for ozzfest 2k5? .... one can hope :(

On that note, Ozzfest 2k5 pit tickets - !!! woo !!! Nissan on the 24th here I come.
  11. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hmm, good news. Hopefully my local stores will actually CARRY it... ahem.

Anxious to hear this new LP, "I" was a bit... tedious to listen to.
  12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I thought "I" was great.
  13. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Don't get me wrong Blisshead, I thought "I" was great, but I also thought it was tedious. ;) My fav is probably Nothing, although DEI and the 'sphere are very close.

NEWSBREAK - Anybody notice this on the Meshuggah Discography page for Catch 33?!

Mårten Hagström: Guitars & bass
    Fredrik Thordendal: Guitars & bass
    Jens Kidman: Guitars & bass, vocals
    Tomas Haake: Spoken vocals
    Meshuggah: Drum programming

Now, did they do this just because they wanted to try out DFH and do some new stuff, or is it because Tomas's wrists/hands are giving him trouble again?! I pray it's the former!

...would hate to see one of the (IMO) top 5 metal drummers of all time losing the function of his hands...
  14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    ..I didn't notice that! I hope you are right.
  15. got it on tuesday...i love it. very awesome album from my favorite band :hyper:
  16. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    I love the new Meshuggah. If you are a fan of "Nothing" then you will love this. It is more aggresive, and with better song writing than "I"
    BTW they tune to G
  17. they did it for time reasons. the album was a bit of an experiment for them, and some speculate part of the reason they made it at all was to fulfill their contract obligations to nuclear blast (though they did resign with them). anyway, they were writing stuff, and from the beginning used the programmed drums as a sort of placeholder, but since things kept getting changed over and over, by the end they realized it would take several months to record the drums live, so they just used the already-finished programmed drums.

i post at the meshuggah board (as meh, i've about 3200 posts there, heh), so i'd like to think i'm pretty informed on the subject. the board is really great, check it out if you like the band:
  18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, it's good to know his hands are OK.
  19. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Catch 33 leaked like 4 months ago, I got it, and although I think my favorites from them, "I" and "Nothing", are awsome CD's, I think that Catch 33 is a piece of ****.