1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Meshuggahs bass guitar tone setup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by T.Rex, Dec 22, 2016.

1. T.Rex

T.Rex

Sep 19, 2015
    Canada
    Have any of you guys tried Dick lovgren's pedal setup aguilar agro=vintage deluxe v1=tone hammer preamp DI and with those settings or something similar, heres a link to see the pedal settings and its near the end of the video.

Rig Rundown: Meshuggah [2016] | Premier Guitar

2. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

I've been wondering the same! Way more simple of a setup than I expected.

On the other hand, I'm really not jiving with their latest album's mix. Too scooped. But I can't wait to hear that bass tone isolated or covered

3. T.Rex

T.Rex

Sep 19, 2015
    Canada

yeah i was thinking the same thing with the mix but no one else seemed to notice other then me until this point, also when i get my pedal bored back from my drummers place im gonna see if i can get close to any meshuggah bass tone, TLC compressor=vintage deluxe v1=b3k. if you have any suggestions for new pedals to maybe get to help or settings please share

GentProvocateur likes this.
  4. CoarseBass

CoarseBass

Dec 28, 2002
    Interesting...the vmtd is just providing a bass cut as shown. Blend is 100% or near enough clean, bass is cut, mid and treble flat. If he did blend in dirt, it'd be more thuddy than I'd expect with the ERA dialed back like that.

5. T.Rex

T.Rex

Sep 19, 2015
    Canada

it looks like the vintage deluxe is doing the least, why would he have it there with bearly any dirt then boost the eq on the tone hammer, i guess maybe he likes the tone it gives more and even tho the vintage deluxe is a part of the tone from the settings in the video it doesnt look like its much of it

6. A very quick and easy (ie lazy) way of mixing is to cut the mids out of everything. Maybe that's what our soundman has done? I dunno, just wondering, I noticed the scooped sound too.

FWIW, Meshuggah are more a *feel the bass* kinda band rather than hear it, when I've seen them live.

7. IMG_0717.PNG Looks like the vintage is used like a sort of eq as he got ags engaged and lots of gain on the tonehammer. And dirt from the agro, guess there's really not much room for more dirt there hehe

GentProvocateur likes this.
  8. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Smurf Village
    In my opinion, the Agro is the best bass distortion pedal.
    He's using the DG to eq a bit the Agro. The choice of preamp won't matter that much. The TH or a VT Bass will do the same job.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  9. GentProvocateur

I would agree for the last album, but not on their Obzen or Koloss tour/album. Even the mix in Chaosphere, which is more 'clacky', for lack of a better descriptor, than Obzen or Koloss, seems more balanced than TVSOR. Then again, venue and placement in the crowd has a huge influence on the mix

10. I always look at pictures of pedals and see what there is but don't look at the settings very seriously. I took pictures of my board during re amping in the studio and have to fix settings all the time.

11. Maybe he cut mids at the end due to both Aguilar pedals being mids heavy products?

12. GentProvocateur

I'm wondering when he started using this setup since the last few albums are different sounds. Can the Agro + DG + TH get an Obzen tone for example?

T.Rex likes this.
  13. T.Rex

T.Rex

Sep 19, 2015
    Canada

I'm definitely wondering this too