Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesquorto bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by millard, Jul 19, 2005.

1. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    I just got a new "in progress" pic that I had to share. :hyper:

Here's an even newer one with the turquoise veins in the cracks. The adhesive also helps stabilize any issues the small cracks might have represented. The camera really locked onto the grain in the lower part of the pic, so the turquoise area is a bit out of focus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love wood and I'm coming out of my skin over this one. This is after initial shaping and sanding. It was going in for finish sanding today.

Millard

2. thats a pretty cool grain pattern

3. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    It's from the crotch of a Texas mesquite tree. Yes, I know there are knots in the wood -- I like them. Can't wait to see it after it is oiled.

Millard
    TakingFireMusic.com
    CommandoRock.com

4. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    looks great, but working that piece of mesquite must be a bitch. how much does the body weigh?

5. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    yeah it looks pretty damn heavy

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I am really loving that piece of wood as well, tons of character! While it does look heavy and dense in the pic I have to assume that it's the same dimensions as the short scale bass you are playing in your avatar, which would probably make it a pretty small body? Maybe a touch smaller than a Warwick? Is mesquite related to madrone or oak?

7. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    It is a Cortobass, similar to the one in the avatar. I had some extra material scooped out of the back and extra relieve for the "arm rest" area, which should help bring the weight down some. It is not a giant body, but it was shot up close.

To add to the Texas flavor of the mesquite, there may be a small vein of turqoise running through one of the knot cracks on the surface. :) Ah, the joys (and expenses) of custom made instruments.

Actually, the mesquite shrub/tree is a member of the Legume family and produces bean pods that are supposedly quite tasty and used as a staple in some Native America diets (see pinole). The flowers also supposedly produce a very fragrant and delicious honey.

Millard

8. [​IMG]

that's not a crack, is it?

9. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    It's just in the eye of the knot. I'm assured that any such features have been stabilized. It's a feature of mesquite as a wood. I guess since it is a legume, you could think of it as a bean stalk.

Millard

10. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    In case you jumped to the new reply, the new pic of the turquoise veins is at the top.

Millard