1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Messa boogie subway bass Di sound issue FOH

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 5 tringer, Nov 29, 2018.

1. I recently purchased the Mess d800 Subway bass preamp Di pedal.
    My connection is as follows
    Warwick active rockbass -> D800 preamp - >Di out post Eq to FOH. Im using IEM no Amp.

When i first connected it to the FOH all was well no sound issue. Sound was tight and clean. Then we had a practice for about 1.5hrs ... bear in mind im using IEMs and the sound is fine. After a while i removed my in ear to hear the sound on the FOH ....there was "plop" sound coming from the speaker whenever i hit the notes on the E string slighly agressive or when i hammer a note.
    I use an active bass and the battery is about a month Old. Not sure if thats cud be the problem Or the power supply i use for the pedal itself. I also picked up the mid eq on the foh sound desk. But what is really bothering me is that i hope that its not the Messa preamp di out thats an issue. Ive spent alot of money on this baby.
    Not sure if anyone else experienced this issue with this pedal or could it be the speakers on foh cannot handle the frequency that its causing a "plop" sound coz of the mid frequency which i have picked up on the desk

Please put me out of misery of worrying.

Thanks

2. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Your pickup might be too close to your E string.

3. Thats what i am also thinking...but never had this issue with my previous Di.

4. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Lower it and see what happens. You can always put it back up.

5. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    If you still have your previous DI, try it and see if the sound is the same. Likely not the Mesa, unless you're running it off battery as well or your power supply is inadequate. You could also try switching to -Pre and see if it's the EQ on the Mesa causing the problem.

Also, when you say FOH - is this at a gig? I've had soundguys add some sort of noise gate on the bass signal and what you're describing might be the bass guitar passing through the gate.

6. Ok cool. Will try and see hw it goes.

7. Yes i do have the previous one. Will give it a try.

I play at church ... running an analogue desk with no comp or gates.

I will try with and without the eq and see where the problem lies. I may have the preamp input volume abit too loud and cud hv cause the desk to clip.
    Thanks for the advice will try out what was suggested by you.