Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Messed Up B String

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Jun 21, 2002.

1. the b string on my set of ernieball slinkies feels like it just came unwound inside... when iplay it open i get a rattle but fretted i get an odd vibration off the string.

is the string dead? or just majorly messed and its time to put a new set on?

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If the core broke (as has happened to me a few times) then the outer windings would stretch since there is nothing holding them together.

Its really noticeable. Everytime you pluck the string it falls apart.

Peace
    Nick

3. my string seems to vibrate hard like the core and windings arent vibrating at the same time..

sounds interesting eh?

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think slinkies stink personally. I tried them after they were highly recommended and got a set for both my basses.

I broke 3 or 4 out of the 9 total.(One set of 5 one set of 4).

I think that even if they wouldve styed in one piece, I wouldve changed them because they didnt souinds great anyways.

Try a new set. Even if the string isnt broken, it might just be the sound of the slinky, and either way It couldnt hurt.

Peace
    Nick

5. all it took was new strings... th bstring on the previous set i guess just had a flaw init somewheres