Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Messed Up input...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BaSsDuDe230, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Hey....well i have a Yamaha TRB 5-II which i love and only have one problem with it. The input. I didn't notice this at the store where i bought it (used too...so no help there). I thought it was the cord too...stupid stupid me. Anyway when ever i even move a slight bit it starts makin a crackling noise and falls out. And just now when i plugged in, turned my amp on and it made cracking noise. Thats all you hear. I play anything and thats all you hear...its not the cord. I tried it out with 3 cords and all 3 were messed up. Its not the amp (tried out my brothers on my amp). Anyone got any ideas what to do? Im going to try to goto the guitar person soon. Thanks alot for anyone who helps...

BTW: Its one of those inputs on the side...like a les paul..

2. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I had the same problem with my Ibanez. It's the parts of the input which actually make contact with the jack. I put off getting mine replaced for a while by pushing the springy connector bits back towards the centre with a straightened paper clip. It's not too exensive to get a shop to fit a new jack though (£4 including jack at my local guitar shop). Easy to do yourself if you have a soldering iron...

But that's the most obvious reason. It could always be something completely fubar and expensive. Take a look inside the jack socket, see if the little sticky out bits are pushed out. Also make sure when you play that you have a nice big loop of cable through the strap (so if you stand on it it won't pull the cable out of the jack socket sideways.

3. nothing sticking out inside...it looks normal...it just crackels and crackels and crackels...argh this is frustriating

4. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Just get a new one. That's probably the porblem if you can't see anything sticking out, or really I suppose it's sticking in... There should be 2 pieces of metal coming from the sides inwards at an angle, these are the bits that actually make contact with the jack. You can try to push them back inwards but as the cable is actually falling out I think a new socket is in order, or get the Planet Waves cables which are much better quality and also have the compression spring bits at the bottom to hold it in place. But I'd just get a new jack socket if I were you.

5. I had the same problem when I bought an used bass last year. It's caused by people who run their cords up around their strap and don't leave enough slack in it to keep it loose where it enters the input. A tight cord stresses the input jack and eventually bends it and you get what you got. I would just recommend replacing the input with a better one--probably set you back $30 total and well worth the peace of mind. Don't screw around trying to fix it because the problem will probably rear it's ugly head again if you are even able to fix the problem

G

6. alright..im going tomorrow to the guitar person...it was used too...the darn person who had it before didnt take good care of it :(