1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Messenger and google in China?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crguti, Sep 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Smurf Village
    How do you connect to messenger and make google's searches when you're in China?
    I'm travelling in China (in Xi'an right now) and I cannot do any of this 'simple' things.

2. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Smurf Village
    ^ it doesn't load the page. :banghead:

3. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Not to be an alarmist but I would tread very lightly with any internet use while in China. Just research a bit before you go to see the salient information of possible outcomes for violating known and unknown laws there regarding this. They are quite strict, sever and immutable.

pie_man_25 likes this.
  4. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    You're traveling in China but went there unaware that the "Great firewall of China" is busy keeping the Chinese "safe?"

Assume everything you've used while there is compromised, for a start...

pie_man_25 likes this.
  5. This, privacy in the internet is an absolute joke, doubly so in the PRC. In many ways it's a lovely place, but their political regime is certainly different than that of Canada.

When I went, VPN services were sort of allowed for foreigners, and people definitely bought them before going, I was too late to jump in, because it's kinda hard to do so when in the great firewall, as you're experiencing now. My take on it: get an alternative to Skype if you don't already have one. The Skype you get in China is even more bugged than the one you get outside China, so I recommend against it. If communicating with those outside the wall isn't the only thing you need to do, then I'm not too sure how else to help you. One last thing: get WeChat. Just do it.

6. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    VPN or stay in hotels that have their server in HK. But if you really need to be available then surrender to the empire and use wechat.

7. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Smurf Village
    I had made a Skype call to my family to tell them I'm alive since that for more than 1 week I have not been able to connect to messenger or facebook. I fuc*ing love China, but these 'kind of thing' sucks.

8. I've never had trouble with Skype, though.