Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Messing around with some new funky tone...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by geoffkhan, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Cool. Some parts of it need to be a little smoother, but I like it a lot. Nice feel.

2. Yeah, it seems like I could tighten up the rhythm on some of the slapping.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    What are you cutting on the EQ? There's a definite "blunt" part to the sound in the upper registers -- not rounded or soft, but "blunt," like there was too much taken off of a certain frequency. Other than that, I really like the tone. Sounds like a good solo tone. Might also work well in a fusion setting, but anything with a thick sound from the other instruments (cymbals with a lot of overtones, a big midrangey guitar) might bury it.

4. Yeah, it's a very experimental tone. I cut down large portions in the EQ, and so I got that really different sound. Here's the un-EQ'd sound:

http://herculeaneffort.adventuredevelopers.com/mumble2.mp3

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I definitely like the new tone better as far as slapping/ghost notes go. The little doublestop you do with the regular tone sounds great, but the slapping doesn't sound so good. Do you have an EQ pedal? If so, if I were you, I would consider setting the EQ on it so that you could have the new tone, and then the regular when you disengaged it. This way, if you decide to do any slapping or any solo stuff, you kick on the EQ. Also, I'd consider cutting a *little* less in the high, high mids (I'm thinking 1.5kHz?)/low treble to help the tone come out a bit more in general. But yeah. Definitely new tone > old tone.

6. By "new tone", you are referring to the last mp3 that I posted. (basically I took out the weird EQ so it's pretty much dry)

Thanks for the advice on the EQ. On my amp I have basic low, med, and high knobs. I have a preamp that has that, too. Of course, my bass sounds better when going through my amp. In the recording it's DI.