1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Met a great older woman!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Apr 24, 2006.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hello all,

Far be it for me to post stuff about what goes on in my personal life, but I felt like talking about this. I don't know if anyone remembers, but a few months ago I posted a thread saying that I've grown tired of girls my age and was looking towards the older women market (wow that makes me sound like I have an MBA in dating or something *LOL* ;) ). Anyways, I met such an older woman and found that I had an instant connection with her.

To make a long story short, I met a really nice woman at a gig back in September. She really loved my playing and genuinely respected me as a musician. She volunteered her phone number to me (which according to her friend, she rarely gives out her number). To abbreviate a long story that's really not important, I'll just say that it took a few months to get in touch with her again. After seeing her the second time, she wound up moving and the number she gave me was no longer relevant. Her friend showed up at another gig to give me the new number. Success!!! I finally got to actually talk to her for a lenght of time (4 1/2 hours straight on the phone to be exact), and it was great.

We definately had an instant connection. We talked about everything from Bob Dylan to Jack Kerouac to A Clockwork Orange to Picasso. I haven't ever been with someone I could talk with about those things. This woman's intelligent, down to earth, cultured, attractive, and interesting. She's 31; I'm 23. She's been married before, but has no children. She's also a nurse, and I love it when someone has a career (most of the females from where I live that stayed in the area are content to produce babies and work at the local convience store). Because she was older, I was afraid that she may be in a hurry to get married again or hurry up and have children - I'm an undergrad planning on going to grad school, so education/career is paramount for me right now - and niether of those were the case. It wasn't as if I were "testing" her, but she did pretty much answer "correctly" to everything I was wondering. *LOL*

I recently tried to date someone my own age and it just didn't work. I know that it's wrong to think that all of my peers are going to give me a bad experience, but this girl turned out to be a waste of time. She didn't know who she was and I couldn't hold an interesting conversation with her. Someone has to know who they are and have confidence in themselves or it's a real turn-off for me. Comparing these two interactions is like night and day.

Well, she definately showed interest in continuing to get to know one another when we concluded our conversation and the fact that she's gone to great lenghts to make a connection with me is a good sign, so I'll see where things lead me. I just wanted to let everyone know about my positive experience. For the longest time, I always pictured myself with someone younger - because of course, that's how it usually goes: older guy, younger girl - but right now, I really do see myself with someone older.

2. 8 years isn't such a huge age difference. It's great you can chat on the phone for so long. Good luck to you. Enjoy yourself and whatever happens, don't let there be any little accidents :)

3. Sounds good! I usually get along better with older women as well, even if the current one I'm more or less going after is only a few days older.

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    My wife is ten years older than me. When we first met she looked 31 or 32. She thought I was 40-ish, I was 28. She was 38. It was a little wierd when we found out the actual numbers.

Now it's a little wierd when she talks about something from her childhood and I say "I think I was born, by then." or "I might have been walking by then."

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, it's kind of strange thinking that I was just entering senior high when she was the age that I am now.

Thank you for the good wishes. I find that I'm the one usually talking about how I love a certain book or movie. It was refreshing to be able to hold a conversation with somebody who could also take the lead. :)

6. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

:)

Sounds like a keeper. Good work.

7. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I think the idea of a guy with an older woman is a little weird, but I'm 19 and my girlfriend is 21 so... eh. Whatevsies.

8. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    You sound like a pretty mature young man. If an older woman's company gives you what you are looking for...*real* conversation, things in common, a relationship based on common ground and friendship, then honey, you keep on getting to know that lady! A good friend of mine always says the following: Age is mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter! :)

Words to live by, sugar. Have fun!

Cherie :)

9. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Sorry, I heard "older woman" and an image of Blue Iris came to mind.....yikes !

10. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    You'd better stop calling her an older woman quick.

And don't tell her about talkbass....she could come here and see this thread.

;)

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Don't worry. We had that conversation. ;) I just said that I do prefer older women because of the usual reasons, i.e. less head games, not high-mainteance, they know who they are, etc. I'm not going to bring it up again. Though I'm sure if we do get together, her friends are going to be envious that she has a younger boyfriend. ;)

Good point! ;) I love the fact that she's genuinely interested in me being a musician. Most of the other girls I've been with either didn't care, were jealous that I was a muso, or liked it on a shallow-novelty type of level.

BTW, she emailed me today, and I replied saying that I really enjoyed our conversation.

p.s. Wow, I used a lot of emoticons in this post.

12. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I may be biased with my words though

my girlfriend is 25 going on 70

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    She came to my gig last night. Things went really well, and then we hung out together all morning. The more I talk to her, the more I like her.

She did express that she's a little weirded out by the age gap. I assured her that it's not a big deal to me. We discussed it a bit. I asked her if it feels like she's talking to a 23 year old when we're together, and she said no. She then said that if it's not a big deal to me, then it's not a big deal. I know that the subject will probably creep up again as we get to know each other, but I'm ready to deal with it if it does.

We definitely have an interest in each other. Since my schedule's going to lighten up here, we both agreed that we should go on a date. I'm very excited about things. I have not met a female that I connected with so easily. But I guess the main reason I bumped this thread up was to say this...

She loves Weather Report and Jaco Pastorious. She has Weather Report on vinyl and wants to listen to it with me.

14. Thor

Better hide the Carvin then.

No pics, no g/f! :D

Glad it is working out so well for you, she sounds very nice!

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It's crazified. Her mom's ex-boyfriend is also a bass player (he basically raised her as his own daughter). She called him last night, and I got to talk to him on the phone about my Carvin and his Fender Jazz Basses. He's an older cat, so he digs tubes and SVTs. I'm definitely the new generation with my love of hifi modern tones and flat response gear. :D

16. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    4 1/2 hours on the phone? Damn, good work! :)

17. Thor

So let's get an update for the TeeBee 'Agony Aunts'.