Met-bassist left?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by air_leech, May 13, 2001.

1. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    I tought I heard something about it but no thread discussed it so I decided to open my own (hey, thats the beauty in TalkBass, isn't it?).
    did Jason Newsted leave Metallica? if so, whose playing bass for them now (no, I'm not thinking of applaying myself for a new job)?
  2. Yes he left. They are currently bass-less. James will be laying the bass tracks down for the next cd. They'll find a bassist for their tours later on.
  3. Is Hetfield playing bass on their next album? The fool probably thinks he can play bass just because he can play guitar. I bet its really bad.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It won't be too bad, you can't hear bass on their CDs anyway...;)
  5. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i think what Hetfield is going to do is just SAY he's going to play bass on the new album and not actually play, just to see if anyone notices the difference :D
  6. Like I said.. James Hetfield will be laying down the bass tracks on the next cd. Jason has nothing to do with them anymore. If you want info on metallica and jason check out
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It's like watching an animal die in the road....
  8. lol, metallica's been done since they did S&M. Maybe if they went prog rock I'd really dig their stuff again. hehe
  9. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    metallica's been done when Cliff was.

since then they only started to get worse and worse and not because of the appearent "sell out", it's because they didn't do anything that made me go: "yay, that was a cool one!", maybe some tracks on the black album were nice but I hate Justice and load/reload (and you wont count Garage Days and S&M for sure).
  10. IMO, justice was a great cd.

They should have carried.. just not as Metallica. They should have changed the name because they were no long Metallica. Metallica consisted of James, Kirk, Lars, and Cliff.
  11. I would think most people would accuse them of going prog because of S&M.
  12. BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    Amen! Exactly my theory. He was Metallica. Read all the interviews and the guys would say everything was run through Cliff before it was done. He was their musical encyclopedia, he was the "frontman", he was Metallica. Now Lars thought he could do it. A drummer, nonetheless. ;)

Blasphemy. Thats a slap in the face to the prog world.
  13. I love the ignorance associated with Metallica bashing. No, really I do. (SARCASM......SARCASM.....SARCASM)

Here's an idea why don't you go do something productive with your time, like practice, insted of bashing a band you don't like.
  14. i honestly do not see why everyone likes metallica so much!!!! may i ask what the big deal is?!?!?!?!?! enlighten me!
  15. I just like the music. what else can I say?

*screams* metal up your a$$!
  16. ouch, that would hurt dude!
  17. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Id like to know too.Early Metallica kicked a$$,and after Cliff's passing,they went straight down the crapper,imo.
  18. know what i think? i think metallica sucks. no intended offense but i thought i'd throw in my opinion on the matter.

by the way. you can knock my music all you want....i dont care. just like i hope YOU don't care about me saying metallica SUCKS
  19. yeah, i don't get the appeal of their music either. the fact that i'd like to crush lars ulrich's head in a giant vise doesn't help either.
  20. hehe, maybe your hair could eat him. =X heheheh (don't get mad at me! hehe) :)