Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

met cool guy with a nice custom Alembic at a photoshoot

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Broach_insound, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I just recently got back frome a photo shoot with my dad (who is a the director of the shoot) at a place in upstate NY called Mohonk Mountain it's bassically just a huge fancy hotel from the 1800's with a nice lake w/ fishing , boating , hiking etc.

anyway everynight there are all sorts of performances and activities within the resort and this band played and I talked to the bassist and he had a badass Alembic its got LED's and and is a beautifull buckeye wood , he was a cool guy but when I mentioned custome Sadowskys he went on to talk of how they arent that good and that g&l makes better quality instruments and also diliked them because "they use standard production woods like ash alder etc" I thought this was a little odd but either way his bass was nice...

Attached Files:

2. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    What's with the costume o_O. Very nice bass, though.

3. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Nice bass, although that is a rather bizzarre clothing style he's sporting. :eyebrow:

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    so now Ash and Alder suck?
    i am guessing mahogany on that Alembic
    freak. Nice outfit :D

interesting bass, though.

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    He takes his RPGs seriously huh?

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    check out the contrast between the bassist and the drummer

7. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Or he just wants to go to bed :p

8. the final fantasy bassist.

9. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Production woods like alder and ash huh? So does every guitar maker in the world for the most part. Add mahogany to the list and you've got the 3 most suitable body woods... Silly person! :eyebrow:

10. a guy who gigs in a merlin wizard outfit and waxes the end of his moustache should not be taken too seriously........even if he does play an alembic

11. weeding

weeding

May 17, 2005
    I dislike the bass majorly. The costume however..... I wonder if Alembic made that? Cause if they do, GAS!!!

12. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    Nothing wrong with ash or alder, as everybody should know. They're "standard production woods" for good reasons. A buckeye top like that doesn't add any desirable tonal characteristics, it's just for show. I guess some guys still figure the more dough they drop on a bass, the better it's bound to be (not being jealous here either, cos I owned an Alembic for years, and there were just too many things wrong with it).

13. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    This bass was a "featured custom" on the Alembic web site (looks like he bought new wood knobs)
    http://www.alembic.com/info/fc_lionsroar.html

Series II 6-string bass
    * Buckeye Burl top and back bookmatched to center
    * Purpleheart body core
    * Ebony accent laminates
    * 36 inch scale Maple and Ebony neck
    * Continuous Wood Everything
    * Abalone custom inlays
    * Blue front and side LEDs
    * Polyester satin finish
    * Nickel plated hardware
    * Mustache tailpiece
    * Concealed hardware bridge
    * Hipshot Ultralight tuners
    * Series II electronics with LEDs
    - Tom

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Is that Abe Vigoda?

Awesome bass. Lots of guys prefer body woods besides ash and alder- that's why companies like Alembic exist.

15. That's explains a lot actually ;)

Nothing wrong with Ash or Alder off course, but I would love to own a (full) Purpleheart bass, I can only imagine the rumble.
    I'm very glad with my humble Mahogany and Maple bodied Alembics though... :)

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Or the weight...

17. Hounddog

Hounddog

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    Broach,
    was the guy a good bass player ? I hope he was pretty awesome to offset the clothes. Nice Bass but thats all I can say about the picture.

18. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I don't like buckeye burl tops; looks like someone vomitted on it.

True. If it has a solid body core, and lots of the S2 are semi hollow, with a 36" scale and ebony neck lams, the sound must be a huge as the weight.
    For some reference, my 30.75 S1 is semi-hollow, with the usual Alembic Maple/PH neck and a Maple over PH core body and is a smidge under 10lbs.

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The other guys at the Ren-fest must be jealous.

20. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I just had to make note of this- my name is often mispelled, even when someone's responding directly to one of my posts, but this is the first time I've been quoted and my name was mispelled :D