Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

met Jim Marshall yesterday

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Jan 18, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Him and Slash were signing autographs for Jim's new book. He's one of the last remaining originals. He's a helluva nice guy, and a pretty smart cookie too. He signs his name "Sir Jim Marshall OBE". Maybe if Leo were British he woulda been knighted too. IMO no one's done more for rock'n'roll than Jim has. Not to mention the gaggle of drummers that he trained (including a guy by the name of Keith Moon). The very first speaker cabs that Jim ever made were 18's. John Entwhistle bought more cabs from him than Pete did. What a trip. It was a real honor meeting The Man.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    that's awesome. I would love to have met him. I also really want to try some of his bass stuff.

3. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Here's Jim and Slash.

That's me with the "I can't believe this is really happening" look (and the Hollywood-A-Go-Go T-shirt).

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    No, he's the Guv'nor! :p

John Entwistle inspired the first 412 cabs to be made, and after he got some, Pete decided to get one but decided he needed an 812! :eek: Only 6 were ever made. Two went to the Faces, and the rest to The Who. Here's more information about the subject.

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Not to start a pissing contest, but I might give that distinction to Leo Fender. I mean, the first Marshalls were just Fender clones, although even those were just taken out of a westinghouse tube manual. Not to mention the strat.

That said, I love Marshall's guitar amps. My guitar player has a JCM900 w/4x12 and it can make some noise.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Well, not to continue the pissing contest, but the JCM900 is about the worst tube marshall ever made.

That said:)p), I like some of their guitar stuff, but would take a Hiwatt or Fender Bassman over them any day.

7. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, the Strat. Jim and Leo. And maybe Les Paul.

But Jim really did respond to a whole new set of needs in the rock'n'roll community, like for instance 200 watts amps, the Major was the first of its kind and IMO there's still nothing that comes close. Maybe a Hiwatt. But that was years later. If you wanted a loud amp, Marshall was pretty much your only choice for a long time.

And think about all the classic rock dudes 'n' dudettes that came from that part of the world, where Fender's were prohibitively expensive, like Cream, the Who, Deep Purple, Led Zepplin, the list goes on and on. And of course Jimi Hendrix, whose name was pretty much synonymous with Marshall stacks.

Read the book, it's well worth twenty bucks. "Jim Marshall" (subtitle "The Father of Loud", ISBN 0-87930-803-6, published by Back Beat Books, www.backbeatbooks.com, and distributed by Hal Leonard Corp). It's the real skinny, puts to rest a lot of the rumors and half-truths (including Aspen Pittman's assertion that the "T" in JTM stood for "Terry, Jim's wife at the time", snicker cough wheeze). :)

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I don't want to get into an argument with you, but Hiwatts eat Marshalls for breakfast. Not only with tone, but with clean headroom, meatier overdrive, volume (their "50 watt models" put out close to 90 watts RMS) but especially with reliability.

And Pete and John only used Marshall for a short period before moving to Sound City/Hiwatt. Also, Jimmy Page by '71 was using several hiwatt DR103s in his live rig, contrary to popular belief.

Besides, it takes 4 Marshall stacks to reach the intimidation level of only 2 Hiwatt stacks. :bassist: :cool:

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    And it still sounds good. ;)

If you think the JCM900 stinks I'm willing to guess you don't think too highly of the newer stuff either.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Throw in a jet engine and all three sound very similar. How LOUD would 4 Marshall stacks be? I don't even wanna think about it.....

11. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    "Hiwatts eat Marshalls for breakfast".

Well, whatever. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I ain't gonna argue with you. :)

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Had the pleasure of meeting Jim Marshall about 12 years ago at a Music Show thingy at Glasgow's SECC. Myself and g/f at the time both got signed posters from the man - sadly lost whilst flitting (after we were married.....)

He was a charming man with a huge ID braclet and an equally huge cigar!!!! He seemed very down to earth, and genuinely seemed pleased to be signing posters for joe public!

I only have a little Valvestate 8080 combo, but I like the sound (not much of a guitarist, but this comob blew away everything in my price range when I was looking.) I'm quite partil to the sounds of the bigger Marshall stacks - one of my good friends has a TSL head and two 4 x 12 cabs.......now that is loud!

13. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I'd suggest that you ask Pete Townsend how loud that would be, but he couldn't hear you if you did.

14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks for sharing!!!

I would love to shake his hand some day...

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Nah, the TSL and DSL stuff is pretty sweet actually. I dunno what they were thinking with the 900 though. :meh:

16. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    "What tha bloody hell are ya sayin? I can't bloody hear ya wanka!!"

17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Strange. All my guitar playing friends and myself love the JCM800 and 900 (along with the older stuff), but despise the new TSL and DSL stuff. We think the Mod4 or whatever it's called is hideous. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

18. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    By the way, Marshall has always rated their amps for "clean" power. My Major, for instance, peaks out at around 270 watts RMS, substantially above the 200 watt rating. I actually measured it, with a signal generator and a dummy load. That's a different direction than my Fender's, none of which live up to their rated power (for instance my "135 watt" ultralinear Twin Reverb maxes out at about 85 actual RMS watts).

The other tidbit there is that 6550's are substantially louder than EL34's at full bore, but they also change the sound. Much of the bad rep of some of Marshall middle-age amps arose because Rose was swapping tubes without correctly rebiasing the amps (during the "EL-34 crisis"), it had more to do with bad tech than bad design. Many of those amps can be made to sound really good when they're properly tuned.

Other manufacturers suffered some of the same problems. You'll see some 200 watt Hiwatt's, for instance, with four 6550's instead of six EL-34's, and they sound completely different. Personally I like the sound of 6550's when they're set up correctly, but for some people it's not their cup of tea, they prefer the creamier sound of the smaller tubes.

Someone mentioned jet planes, during the late 70's Deep Purple had an entry in the Guiness book of World Records, Blackmore's modified Marshall Major's were louder at a hundred yards than a jet plane at takeoff. Now some other band has broken that record. I submit, that there's a threshold beyond which that stuff ceases to be useful, then t's mainly a question of whether you can't hear for one day or two days after the show. :)

19. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    And guess what Glenn Hughes was using? 3 Hiwatt DR405 400 watt heads to keep up. ;) And The Who still currenty hold the record for being the loudest rock band of all time, 120db at 50 yards away from the stage in 1976. :bassist:

20. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That may be true but it's a mute point when you look at the speaker designs common to guitar cabs. That all have a small x-max but a big x-mech. In otherwords, it's deliberately easy to get them breaking up and sounding a bit dirty, but near impossible to blow them. Most rock guitarists complain when the speakers don't break up a little.