metal/alt bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by motherfunker, May 5, 2002.

1. motherfunker

Apr 29, 2002
    New York
    What bass is the best for BOTH Metal and Alternative? any brand. :)
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, this may sound like a broken record on my part, but

MTD Kingston 5, MTD Kingston 5.

Killer B string, excellent, top notch construction, fast neck, versatile sound, well balanced, and sounds amazing. I use one in a metal outfit, as well as a spoken word band, and soon, maybe a ska band. There's not a whole lot this bass won't do, for a mere $450ish.
  3. Look for a used MIA J or P, ebay has a lot of used ones, and they fit very well for both. Jazz basses sound good for ANYTHING, plus, if you happen to not like it, you can sell it and not lose money.

Ive never played a MTD
  4. Fenders are the norm with alternative bands, and a lot of metal bands have them too. Stingray wouldn't be so bad either.
  5. motherfunker

Apr 29, 2002
    New York
    Thanks for the opinions, but to be more specific, would a RIC 4003/4001 fit the genre? thanks.
  6. Depending on which kind of metal, (i.e., not so sure about Death/goth/whatever metal), but seeing as its being teamed with alt, I'm sure you could make it work. Ric's can have a real raucous sound that can work great in a metal/alt setting.
  7. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i kinda hate it when sumone wants to play a bass that "fits" into a type of music. When sumone plays a bass that doenst really fit into a specific genre sumtimes they stick out in a good way. I mean get a ric if thats your thing and u really like the feel, but ive never seen a metal bassist use one. NOW, i know a bunch of people are gonna say about about clif?? well i heard his bass had all kinds of crazy pickup changes so it really wouldnt sound like a ric. Id say go with it if u really like the feel and tone, but i wouldnt say they really fit into that genre. I'd say a stingray or a kingston.
  8. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    ... me too hyper, It´s like saying that Faith No More was a metal band, they were far beyon, and into every music tag at the same time.
    If a bass works for you and sounds the way you like it, go for it, and don´t care if every NU metal band plays Warwick......:oops:
  9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am with you guys, too, hyperlitem and CaracasBass.

I buy a bass because I like the way it sounds/plays. Not because I think it will fit into the type of music that my current band is playing.
  10. Lemmy?
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Good call!:cool:

12. Eh, kids these days. Like they'd think of him. :rolleyes: :D AND, Cliff Burton played a Ric too, if I'm not mistaken.

Who would win in a fight? Lemmy or God?

TRICK QUESTION!! Lemmy IS God!

:D :D :D
  13. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I'm in a metal band and play only Rics...........they fit in great....excellent sustain and a nice mildly distorted tone. I think the big thing is to get a bass that you are comfortable with and enjoy playing. I think I could get any bass to "fit in" with the right amp and effects.
    I just saw Lemmy (and Motorhead) Saturday. Great was great watching/hearing Lemmy play since I enjoy his style and love his live sound. My wife says her ears are still ringing and she probably won't see Motorhead again:confused: :eek: :D
    The show made me really wish Rickenbacker would get my 4004LK finished already.......Lemmy's taunted me all evening:mad:
  14. NiKo

May 2, 2000
    Perhaps my answer is not a real answer.
    My idea is that any bass can do everything you want it to do.
    I've plaied Hard rock, Heavy Metal, Industrial, Nu Metal, Goth, Death, Black; all with my Fender precision bass.
    Is not your equipement, is how you do it play that makes a specific genre.
    See you on the forum again.

15. Ricks have a lot of midrange and bass, and they cut through well. Sounds to me like a recipe for metal bass playing....

Yes, Cliff Burton did use Ricks on occasion.