Metal amp settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by da axeman, May 19, 2007.

1. Hi all, I'm in a heavy metal band and was just woundering what amp settings work well in a metal band with 2 distorted guitars and one loud drummer. At the moment I completely cut out all mids, literaly, I turn of high + low mids and my amp has a mid scoop setting, I also turm bass and trebble up full, but this setting dosen't seem to be coming through very well though.
    Any coments appreciated :help:

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Well, first try putting your mids back in. Start with everything flat (bass, mids, and treble all equal) and adjust from there while playing with your band.

BTW, in case you didn't already know it, mids are what cuts through in a mix. Not bass and treble. Yes, it may sound like crap when you play by yourself but it's what works in a band situation. Seriously, try it.

3. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    What sort of metal do you play?

You pretty much almost NEVER want to cut mids in metal. Some guys like Lemmy have ONLY mids.

4. Mainly just metal with a bit of hard rock, hardly ever death or black metal.

5. real? i seriously would of thought that after you cut the majority of your basses sound away you would absolutley dominate that mix! weird....

6. So I should boost my mids, but then what should I do with my lows and highs? Leave them around the middle?

7. +100

You want Mids...

Try this:
    Bass at 7 (2o'clock)
    Midrange at 5 (12 o'clock) think this is what people call flat>
    Treble at 7 (2o'clock)

I'm still exploring this but that's good for rock.

I play thrash/hard rock

8. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    It depends on your bass, pickups, strings, and whether you play with a pick or fingers. What you need to do is set your amp flat and then EQ from there.

If you find yourself in a volume war with everyone, remember that cutting one frequency is almost the same as boosting the others, plus you usually can squeeze a little more volume out. All that good sounding low end that cuts through in metal, is actually more low-mids than low end, especially at high volume, this way you don't sound muddy.

9. I use a fender P-bass with a pick and round wound strings

10. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    Just turn everything up to 11.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021