Metal and Enya

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Against Will, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I know a good deal of metal heads of all shapes and sizes and genre preferences. Some are fans of conventional metal, old-school metal, black/death/doom metal, and proggy-metal. Despite whatever differences they perceive between themselves musically, they're all tied by one unlikely strand. They all have, somewhere in their collection, an Enya CD, the same one even! I don't see the connection, obviously everyone's allowed a guilty pleasure disc, but why do all these metalheads go for Enya? Satanic subliminal messages? School-boy crushes? Aural fatigue?

2. I had a really cool teacher in high school who always played enya for the class because she said it would make us learn faster :confused:

Eventually one of the students stole her enya disc. :D
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    :meh: I'm not metal :crying:

It kinda makes sense with Black/Atmospheric Doom Metal fans, Enya is the floaty aspect of metal without the metal.
  5. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Metal has a floaty aspect?
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's what a lot of metal is all about. Bands like... *ahem* Metallica and Slipknot... do not. But a lot of Black Metal bands make it their forte. You've got the standard metal, but on top is often string arrangements, keys, opera singers, and other classical elements.
  7. Jippedo21

Feb 17, 2005
    check it,

A long time ago Mudvayne came here and i went with my friend . This kid is one of those kids who is just huge and strong. We go and he moshes for like 2 hours straight must have broken 4 or 5 peoples noses.

anyway we get in the car and he puts in enya at first i didn't notice cuz we were still buzzed from moshing for so long and telling stories about stuff we did. I started listening and i was like what the hell. we had this awkward moment followed by an even more awkward ride home.
  8. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    *looks around* Uh, oh. Need to get an Enya CD. Quick.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I own no such CD. Atmospherics are for doom metal and wussies (which are often found together, but not all wusses like doom metal).
  10. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Karmically, I think this had to happen, with all the I <3 stoner metal threads recently.

Though, look at something like Type O Negative, what does THAT mean? That's more of Enya-metal than any sort of atmospheric doom metal that's out there.

11. +1
  12. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Great genre name.
  13. i'm probably one of the hardest listeners on this forum, why don't i have an enya cd?
  14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    The only reason guys get into metal is because of the chicks. The only reason guys into metal buy enya is because the chicks like it. Jeez. Don't you guys know nuthin.

It makes them look like they have a sensitive side.

I on the other hand, really enjoy listening to enya. And the Little Mermaid soundtrack too.
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow... Thee really nailed it... Type O is the Enyaist metal band out there.

I like Doom Metal... and I'm a wuss... but I don't think I really like Enya.
  16. rgallant

Feb 14, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Which CD by Enya did they have? I'm not her biggest fan, but I find her music highly relaxing. I was thinking about picking a CD up just recently but I can't decide on which one. :meh:
  17. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Watermarks, her 'break-through' album.
  18. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Enya-Metal. Gotta love it. I'm into Gregorian Speed-Death Rap.
  19. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, i've been really getting into some emo-death-speed-trance-dance-core lately.