Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metal Band Seeking Criticism

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by darkspec, Aug 7, 2004.

1. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Hey guys, Whats Popin? Anyways, This site ( http://stapleface.dmusic.com/ ) Has the newest song from my band. It is called "Return To Dust". I was wondering if some of yoou guys could give me a listen and tell me what you think.

2. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Where's the solo?

3. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Not bad. The breakdown was cool.
    I wasn't a big fan of the singing in the chorus, though.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The guitar part needs to be meaner. There was a lot of missing lows. I could hear everything, but the growling is a bit too out front for this style of metal. The singing in the chorus would be better done by one voice. The harmony just doesn't fit the song.

5. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    The solo, lol....IDK, guess the guitar player's forogot about that. The bottom end is kinda missing because we used a 4 track analog recorder.

The singing is something new were trying, steping away from the norm of metal as it seems. Thanx for the comments though guys, keep it coming.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think it's mixed poorly. The disparity between the volume of the instruments and the vocals are such that the vocals seem utterly out of place. Live, I can imagine it working, but on record, the vocals don't "fit" at all. It's like trying to death growl over Nickleback.

The recording quality isn't too bad, but the instruments need to be brought up in the mix, the guitars in particular.

7. the instruments are really good imo, the recording method didn't help you much...the chorus was sketchy, with a little work, it would sound awesome.

i would go see a concert!

Charlie

8. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I like the singers hard voice--The singing reminds me Opeth with the different voice styles. The riffs were definitly hard hitting, but to me it was getting a bit repetative. Also the recording didnt help, but it has potential.