Metal bands that do something to seperate them from the pack

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    What are some metal bands that do something... different. I mean, I really like metal and can listen to just about any metal band if they are the least bit good. But I really like it when a metal band does something different... example...

Sepultura, the added element of traditional Brazilian percussion gaves them a very distinctive sound. I know they probably aren't the first to do it, but Sepultura worked it into their songs a lot to make it a trademark. That along with Max (I'm not going to bother to spell his last name... I'll screw it up).

Opeth, the switch between low grunty death metal vocals to a guy who can really REALLY sing. It creates an interesting dynamic. Along with the constant switching between electric and accoustic guitars (Can they do that live well?). Lets not forget kick ass musicianship.

So what are some metal bands that jump out at you as "original".
  2. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Neurosis separates themselves by playing really freaking loud. :bassist:
  3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Slipknot wears masks.
  4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Anthrax used to rap...awww, nevermind...
  5. I can't think of one right now...but any metal band that would have the slightest hint of knowing what a melody is would be a big improvement.

Ok, you may now all pile on!
  6. Would you consider Marilyn Manson a metal act? He definitely separates himself from the rest.
  7. Smash wrote:

Oh, I thought that Nu metal WAS the bad.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

No offense to you but everything Manson has ever done is a total rip off of someone else. He started out a poor mans alice cooper/trent reznor. Then he created his a different band inside of his band, who were from outer space. They were called Ziggy Stardust and the Spi... oh wait Omega and The Mechanical Animals. And now I hear people praising him for being so original as to be using Cheerleaders in one of this songs, can we say, "Be Agressive" by Faith No More.

Speaking of, Faith No More was very original. Even though not all of their stuff was metal.
  9. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    What about Mudvayne! You gotta admit ryan is a great bass player. How many metal bands have a basser that slaps??
  10. if you consider Tool a metal band, well they've got something of their own.
  11. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
  12. Exedore

Nov 15, 2002
    Pasadena, Ca, USA
    Dare I mention The Locust?

One of the few (but by no means the only) bands to play extremely brutal music without lowering themselves to overly simple 4/4 open-E riffs or overly macho toughguy lyrics and douchebag posery. The short songs, the keyboards, the live show, etc. etc. etc...
  13. Be authentic. that's it. I didn't even considered some of the bands named in other posts in this thread, as Metal, so I don't include them in any pack.
  14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Korn's first album was actually very differnt and a nice change from what was out there. And I agree that Tool is in a league of it's own.
  15. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Nightwish, fronted by a (real) female opera singer.
  16. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    MOD- Very different in the day it was started.
    Pantara- Metal with grove.
  17. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Candiria, Meshuggah, and Fantomas(?). And I guess you could call Ministry a "metal" band sometimes, as well as some current (and not so current) King Crimson. Nuovo Metal, anyone?
  18. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Type O Negative cetainly seemed different with their funereal stage act and their ghoulish bassist who played a cello or upright acoustic bass on its side like a guitar.

Then, too, I think White Zombie was quite different with Rob Zombie and in the beginning his pretty bassist sean Yseault. White Zombie always had interesting stage sets and videos.

I also felt Primus offered something fresh and unique with Claypool's unusual looks and new approach to the bass.

I thought Yngwie Malmsteen was very unusual...what with his appearance and his playing style.

There was a 1990s South Florida band called "Collapsing Lungs" that was in on the very earliest form of rap-metal. But in addition, the percussionist pounded on a huge contraption made up of car lot trash, tail pipes,bumpers, etc. Very entertaining. They later changed their name to just "Lungs."

There was a Western Florida band whose name (fortunately) escapes me, that played decent heavy music, but performed while doing sadistic acts on stage,flagellating, burning and cutting volunteer "victims". I was so sick, I walked out the one and only time I saw them. Can't remember their name. I hope they no longer exist. The lead vocalist/ torturer was a woman who dressed like a dominatrix and wore a German WWII officer's hat. Oh, dang! I do remember the name now. The Genintorturers. Honest.

Glen Danzig's band was quite unusual. The drummer actually played a tympani along with his drum set. I'm am referring to Danzig after he left the Misfits, quite an unusual group also. Jerry Only, to this day, remains unique. He even had a very brief career as a pro wrestler.

One last band stands out to me. Powerman 5000, for their unusual stage costumes and names.