1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Metal bands, where do these local bands play?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, Jul 13, 2012.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Just about all the opportunities listed in Cl or Milwaukee
    Rocks for bass players and guitarist are for metal bands.

I am curious about local metal bands and wanted to find one to go see tonight.

I went through the schedules of every club I know including all the originals clubs and could not find one local metal band performing anywhere in town.

Maybe it's just Milwaukee, Since metal is still so popular, where do these bands play?

2. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    At least in places I have lived there seems to be a hole in the middle.

The big touring bands play sporadically at the larger venues.

While the local bands play at tiny bars that usually have a devoted core group who goes to most of the shows.

I don't know about Milwaukee but in Philly there is a website that lists all of the local metal shows most of which are promoted nowhere else.

3. Not from milwaukee, but here in SD we have a ton of local venues that play metal. You should come down here haha. I know that doesn't help anything......sorry....

Go see a country band. Thats my advice. I love country.

4. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Thanks, I'm thinking in Milwaukee it's probably an underground list of small bars that don't advertise much.

I know the rave books a lot of national metal acts. But I'm looking for local.

5. there are normally a ton of places that are flying under the radar because some big name gets all the attention.

in my area we have a pay to play venue called "the champ" that everyone thinks is the only [all ages] venue around.. i am constantly telling my friends in bands about other all ages venues within 10 miles of champ that are not pay to play, start getting into bars and the list grows exponentially.

6. Do you have a Facebook? Just ask. Somebody knows somebody who knows somebody.

Know any young musicians? Chances are, they know at least one metal band and can tell you where they're playing.

Personally, I'd go searching for a GOOD metal band (very hard to find, maybe it's just around my area) and then go to one of their shows. Otherwise you risk ending up with 5 hours of insufferable noise and people moshing in a standing room only bar. If it's a good band, the latter will at least be tolerable.

Whatever you do, it's probably not safe to judge metal bands on whatever you see. Most of them are cookie cutter and fairly terrible.

7. there are no places i know of in my area, but then again, I just moved.

8. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Oniman, for good metal in that area you just have to drive up to Jacksonville. There are most certainly some decent metal show there.

9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm not a metal guy, but there are a few venues for metal bands around here, especially when it gets to be biking season. New Hampshire has no helmet law so Bike Week is a big draw up here. Still, on the whole, I'd agree with the OP's general impression; I think there are a lot more people who want to play metal than there are venues whose clientele want to hear it.

10. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    Milwuakee Rocks - Under the time slots for various shows you will see the "METL" indicating it is a metal show. There are several tonight. Google is your friend.