Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metal Bass Amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dontbesobassist, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Ok guys, so I've just started a metal band. And now is as good a time as any to get a new, better amp. I know the overall choice of sound is down to the user but are there any specific makes and models of amps that you can suggest. I play a shine 5 string so I want plenty of low end especially on the low B, which is a kinda flat sound on my current rubbish amp. If you can suggest any specific bass amps that give a good metal sound, I would really appreciate it.

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Depends on what type of "metal" sound you're looking for. What you do want to look for with a low B and wanting to really feel that low B would be to find a speaker with a good frequency response (which for the lower notes usually means either high quality cones, or really big cones) and a high powered head to really handle the lows.

3. carvin b1500. more tone and power for the $ than any other amp i've tried. The overdrive on it is anything from sweet harmonics to just under dirty. Perfect amp if you ask me:help:

4. yeah, to be honest, I don't know wot kinda metal sound I'm looking for. The Soilwork and In Flames bass sounds (although simple) would be good to replicate, however I don't have huge amounts of money so I can't buy anything like Mesa Boogie. Another thing I meant to ask..... I know that tube and valve amps are good quality, but are they designed specifically for recording purposes? or do they work well/make a difference on stage? replies appreciated

5. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ever think about getting a multiprocessor? it's helped my sound. I now have that Meshuggah sound out of my bass, but I tweaked it a bit to make it more of my sound. You can check out what it sounds like on my band's webpages in my sig.

I currently run through a DigiTech BNX 3 which has amp modeling capabilities. I ran it direct into the board for recording.

6. yeh, I have considered a multi fx processor. So far I've looked at the Boss GT6B, Boss ME50B and the Line6 Bass XT. Am I right in thinking that these give quite a boost to your sound? Can you suggest any processors that could do this for me? and possibly give me good reliable tones and effects?Also, not knowing much about amp heads I was confused about the power. Alot of them say "225w at 8Ω, 350w at 4Ω and 500w at 2Ω" or something similar. What does this mean and how does it work? Thanks again

7. foose4string

foose4string

Feb 4, 2006
    Maryland
    GK with a Sansamp pre. That's some serious growl right there.

8. "Anything that sounds "heavy" on it's own at store/practice volumes which just get lost in a bog of lows when mixed in at high volume with a metal band, especially if the other guys are down-tuning."

Eh?? do you mean anything thats sounds heavy at practise volumes will get lost wen mixed??

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I've said this before- Sansamp BDDI will make all your dreams come true.

10. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    You have to take in account how your guitar player is EQ'd. If he has a lot of lows, you have to push your mids to cut through. That's where the bulk of my sound comes from is from the high mids and low mids. Otherwise, you will not cut through.

11. yeah my guitarist (lead) has plenty of low (using the low B of his 7 string alot) and his bass is usually prominent. I'll look at something that can cut through. I know this is the amp section but can you suggest any multi effects processor that can give me a boost and some good tones. And yes I am looking into that sansamp pedal. cheers

12. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    This goes for any head.

If you buy an amp with those ratings, you have to check the cab to see which ohmage it is. For instance, if you're running one 8Ω (8 ohm) cabinet, you'll only get 225 watts out of your head. If you run 2 8Ω (8 ohm) cabinets, you'll actually be running 4Ω (4 ohms), and therefore your head will put out more wattage- 350 watts to be exact. You could also get the same effect from one 4 ohm cabinet. Now, if you ran 2 4 ohm cabs, then you'll be getting 500 watts.

13. foose4string

foose4string

Feb 4, 2006
    Maryland
    Agreed. Does the metal thing very well through just about any head, very consistant. Heard it through SWR, Mesa, and GK, all with the some crushing results.

14. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    You'd have to try out the effects processors. A lot of them are very good, and they give you a lot of options. I'm able to get just about any sound I want out of mine, and a lot of people have the same ability in theirs. They usually come with a ton of presets, some of them are useful, some of them are just for your enjoyment. Your sound cutting through is more a proponent of your EQ than the overall sound, though. I could still have the sound I have, but if I put my EQ in a big smilie face, then all you'll hear is rumble and clicks. (like Fieldy).

15. cheers, that ohms business has really cleared stuff up for me. I just needed to know so I could match some heads to cabinets. In your experience would you say mixing heads and cabinets still gives you a good sound? Eg. a GK head with an ampeg cabinet (just for example). By doing this can I get a unique sound and still get the quality?

16. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Some people do this, and I don't see it as being a problem. Just make sure you are able to match up power handling and ohmage, otherwise you'll fry either your head or speakers.

But, remember, when most designers are designing heads and cabs, they usually design one to compliment the other.

17. yeah that makes sense. I think I'll stick to matching makes at the moment and maybe build on my rig when I have more money and more experience. I'm currently checking out the digitech pedal that you recommended. It is noticeably more expensive than most of the big names in multi effects put I'll chek it out nontheless. However I was put off Digitech when i bought the darned BP50 which was possibly the worst sounding multi effects pedal I have ever heard.Do you find that theres alot of wasted effects on the digitech? Is there alot of pointless sounds on there that you don't use, and can't see many other people using either? For the price that it is, would I be better buying seperate stomp box effects and linking them up?

18. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    There are a lot of effects that have no usage unless you're going for the spacey sound. There's a thread on the pedal forum that pits the Boss multiprocessor vs the Digitech, and the Boss pedal won hands down.

The main reason I went with the DigiTech is because I got it for a good price used, and it came with an 8 track. Also, one thing I found is that if you figure out how to work with the DigiTech, you can get just about any sound you want. It took me around a month of tweaking to get the sound I wanted. There are so many things to mess with that it can be daunting at first.

19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hi man, check out the effects forum. Lots of good info, including pretty much everything to do with distortion, Sansamp, and multifx. Check the stickied megathgreads at the top.

20. yeah the whole "it took me a month to get my sound" idea is one I've head plenty of times. It jus seems to me that I won't get £400s worth of effects from it. Would it be jus as effective and maybe more cost efficient to link up some stompbox and single effects pedals?