1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Metal bass players who detune..help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by krovx, Sep 24, 2008.

1. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    I currently have a four string BTB that is 34" and have the biggest strings I can find on it. We are currently in a drop B tuning, so my Four is sort of setup like a Five. We are considering going down to A like White Chapel and others. I know I need a 35" scale now, it is getting too flubby! Would you go with a five string, or stay with a four like I have it? I follow the guitars occasionally, but I am not slapping and plucking, just holding down the bottom end. The only things I am finding are other BTBs with 35" and The F series from ESP that are ugly to me, lol. Any suggestions? I would appreciate it.

I am using a Mesa Carbine with a Powerhouse 1000 for my rig. Thanks!

2. Calvan

Calvan

May 13, 2008
    San Diego
    if you're having trouble deciding on whether or not you want a 5 string, first ask yourself this question.... "do i need/want more notes/note options?" if the answer is yes, get a 5er, if it's no, stick with a 4. but yes definitely get a 35" if you're going lower. i played a 34" in dropped c and that was pushin it. i'm surprised you dont have a 35" already

3. krovx

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    That is why I am thinking of staying with the four. Only thing is Four string 35" are rare, only two models I could find are above. You are right, I am surprised this 34" is doing as good as it has, lol

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    What about a Peavy Cirrus?

5. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    why dont you string it BEAD??

6. krovx

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Not a big fan of them, and they seem expensive. My local shop is just placing an ESP order actually. I am going to have them get the F 404FM with the EMGs, try it out and see what I think. Keep rolling in the ideas :hyper:

7. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    MTD offers 35" scale basses, and I am sure there are more out there if you search. My B series ESP is 35" scale also and not as near as ugly as the F series.

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    (re. Cirrus)The US one is, the BXP is not.

I'd string it ADGC, by the way, and if possible with a 24 fret bass, with full upper fret access.

I'd suggest Traben, but lots of people hate them, and I dunno if their current models offer 4 string 35" scale, I have one, which is also neck through, which would suit this purpose perfectly, the discontinued Kore model.

9. FanOfAlice

FanOfAlice

Nov 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Spector has a 4 string 35" euro, it is robbie merrill from godsmacks signiture bass or something like that. i would put money on that being pretty nice. I have a 34" and love and was going to get the 35 but i just decided not to play metel instead (its cheaper).

http://www.spectorbass.com/bass_euro_4LX-35_1.html

i dont know where you would find one though or what they cost on the street.

Good Luck

10. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Not sure how you feel about them, but Spector makes a 35" 4-string. I think its called the Euro4LX-EX. I believe the Yamaha TRB1004 has a 35" scale as well.

Another option is to get a Dingwall 4-string. 36.5" scale on the low string, 34" on the highest.

I wouldn't get a 5er unless you feel you need the extra high notes. For metal, you probably only need the 4 strings. There are enough options out there if you know where to find them.

11. nrssab

nrssab

Jun 28, 2006
    Germany
    Get a Warwick Vampyre Dark Lord, it solves all those detuning problems...

White Chapel. Nice stuff!

12. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Yeah, but then he'd have to play a Warwick :smug: :D

I kid because I love. In all seriousness, the ones I've heard haven't impressed me that much. I have not played one myself though, so take that with a grain of salt.

On another note, Ryan Martinie tunes a Thumb 5 down to G and he seems to do OK. So, maybe the 35" scale isn't completely necessary.

13. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    If I were you I'd go with a used Peavey Millennium Plus 4 or Standard 4 (the Plus has a figured maple top and the standard is plain). There was a used one selling for $400 on Ebay a few days ago. Spectacular basses and a 35" scale 4-string. USA made, Hipshot hardware, and a d-tuner on the E-string.

Stringing your 4 banger BEAD is definitely another option.

Go with hex core strings for added stiffness.

14. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Take your current bass and have it set up for BEAD tuning as suggested above.You'll need to recut the nut,and use the top 4 strings of a 5 string set,but it beats buying another bass.

15. Gramtron

Gramtron

Mar 11, 2007
    Loveland,CO
    dude you can play in drop a on a 34" four string. i do on my warwick fretless and i only have it strung up with roto steve harris'

16. justincest

justincest

May 1, 2008
    Get a five string, in drop a with a five string, you only detune the lowest string to a -- A-e-a-d-g. It's so easy! My band plays in drop a. (to completly match the guitars you can detune the g to f#, but it really isnt necessary)

17. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    If you already have a 4-string BTB that you like, why not just get a 35" BTB? No real need to switch basses. BTBs are great, my bassist in my old band got amazing tone with his through a Line 6 LowDown.

18. EviscerateNick

EviscerateNick

May 9, 2007
    BAY AREA
    Endorsing Artist: THC GOLD
    i play in drop B with a 34in five string warwick. i actually use lighter guage strings thn most guys i know and i have no problem what so ever. if you are having problems with your Bstring going to A will only make it worse.

19. krovx

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    My current 4 is strung BEAD, and is quite flubby, any lower and it gets bad. I have .120 top on it right now, are you suggesting I get five string set and use that instead to do the A? My tech said I am pretty much at the end of my rope, I can go with a bigger string, but the bridge can only adjust so much. Might be worth checking out instead of a new bass, I agree.

Not a fan of Trayben, Spector, or Yamaha. Appreciate the ideas though.

As far as the LTD, the only thing I find with the 35" in a four string is the F. Only the six string B series comes with the 35". I have to admit the F is starting to grow on me.

I actually love warwicks, but finding a good one is hard, and they are bloody expensive.

I want to stick to a four if I can, I prefer them. I have bounced the BTB Idea back and forth, but I have to admit its not entirely comfortable to play because of the odd horn shape. I think this is because of my 'alligator' arms. I wonder if the F series will be any different.

Love the ideas metal bros. If you get a chance to try the Mesa Carbine, do so. Holy crap I am getting a brutal tone in the mix right now. My band mates are very happy with it.

20. krovx

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    I wish I could try an MTD, have yet to see one.

Thanks for the hex core idea! I will try them next restring.