Metal Bass Solos!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Getting the obvious out of the way, AKA all Cliff Burton solos, what are some metal bass solos. It always catches me off guard when I hear a metal bass solo because I love metal, but bass isn't really... audible in a lot of metal. Here's my contribution...

Overkill - Half Past Dead.

Gotta love distortion and wah. What a great song.
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Spiral Architect has an INSANE bassist, although the music is so technical it's like listening to a math class. Also, Gordian Knot.
  3. O.K., maybe not metal but............

Check out anything Billy Sheehan

Stuff from Talas, David Lee Roth , Mr. Big
  4. Rammstein - ashes to ashes(azches zu azches) has a neat little bass thing in it...good band,good song

Mudvayne doesn't have any bass "solo's" but they got a helluva bassist....with nice licks.

5. John Myung of dream theater has some very nice bass solos. The ones that comes to mind is Erotmania (as a fade out from the song) and Metropolis pt. 1. Great stuff from a great bassist.

Cliff Burton of course in pulling teeth and orion.

Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse) - The beginning of hammer smashed face is kind of a bass solo (or just a riff played by the bass).

Joey from Manowar. You have sting of the bumblebee for example. I believe there is a bass solo on nearly every Manowar album but many of them are only there to show speed.

Those are the metal bass solos that comes to mind right now. There are many more though.
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Watchtower - Control & Resistance

Those guys pretty much invented what bands like Spiral Architect are doing now. SA also pretty much copied their sound.

Bassist Doug Keyser does some amazing stuff on this album.
    Guitarist Ron Jarzombek now operated Spastik Ink and played on the latest Gordian Knot.

Also good: Their debut Energetic Disassembly.
  7. There's a few good bass moments with Clutch.

Careful With That Mic (best lyrics EVER), or under the guitar solo in Pure Rock Fury.

EDIT: I typed a different song that I meant. D'oh!
  8. In "What I Always Wanted" Talena plays the main riff as a solo...

9. I like that part...except in the video,the new girl's hand is on her how the hell can you play it w/ 1 hand? it's not like all open notes or anything:rolleyes:

10. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    but it's kind of rubbish
  11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Williams Tale - Manowar(Joey DeMaio)
  12. I like it.

and Osama :)hmm: that doesn't sound right) when do you see that video I've seen it twice when it first came out. VH1 wouldn't play it because it is metal and "m"tv sucks and wouldn't play it because it is to old and it is not popular enough.
  13. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Do yourself a favor, and go out and buy yourself Elements by the band Athiest, and expierence the graduier that is Tony Choy. Sorry, if I seem cocky, but when these discussions come up, it seems like no one mentions my favorite metal bassist, Tony. ;)

Also, for a cool metal bass solos, check out Greg Christains (Testament) solo in Uro.....I mean, Ukro.......I don't know how it's spelled, but it's on the Low album. :D
  14. I downloaded,her right hand is laying against her head when the little fill begins...and then they show her like hitting the string..its pretty way is she hotter then Talena though.

Oh...and you can call me Jon:)

15. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    What about good ol' Steve DiGiorgio. Fretless metal bassist !!! Great 3 finger technique.
    Fragile Art of Existence on Control Denied.
    Steve's website Check out the first video clip playing with Testament at Dynamo.
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The man has a point.
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    For reference... Kittie Fans... I don't consider playing the verse alone a bass solo... I mean technically the bass is playing by itself... but it's just playing... what it's playing in most of the song. This bugs me because people kept telling me how great the bass solo in "By The Way" by RHCP was... I heard the song several times listening for a bass solo and finally realized that everyone was talking about when Flea plays the verse riff by himself. :rolleyes:

Oh and all the great PUNK bass solos where the bass player continues playing the same 2 notes over and over again... awesome bass solo dude! :rolleyes:

Good stuff so far guys. I'm going to check some of this stuff out. Some of these bands I've never heard of... I'm gonna check them out!
  18. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Any of mine......... oops! Mistake! thought the thread was "Mental" bass solos .........:(
  19. Eerik

Jul 9, 2001
    Although he doesn´t have any real bass solos on their songs, Jari Kainulainen from Stratovarius tends to throw in some really WILD fills(especially live) and guitar doubling. He also did a fantastic tapping orientated bass solo on Kotipeltos(Stratovarius´ singer) solo gig last year.

He used to use a very Sheehan-a-like three finger technique but when I saw Strato live this year he seemed to play with mainly two fingers. Anyway the guy is as fast as anything. Check out instrumentals like "Stratosphere" and "Stratofortress" or normal songs like "Find your own voice" and "Phoenix".