1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Metal Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maniacmetalhead, Aug 14, 2007.

1. P-bass

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. Warwick

13 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. Spector

15 vote(s)
    20.8%
  4. Musicman Stingray

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  5. T-bird

10 vote(s)
    13.9%
  1. maniacmetalhead

maniacmetalhead

Jun 4, 2007
    Which of those basses do you think is better for metal? I don't know much about Warwicks and Spectors,so tell me about specific models.I don't think that T-birds are good for metal, but some ppl have recommended them to me, so...

2. Bang for the buck and a tone that cuts like a knife. Then Warwick Thumb in a tight second and the T-Bird in third

3. Many threads on this.

but in all honesty, I've seen every bass from every pickup configuration, being used for metal. I think the next question is, what pickups should one get?

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I voted Stingray. They're not the most versatile basses out there but for balls-out metal they're pretty damned spot-on.

5. Meh, pick on you're comfertable with. I don't get why you absolute should get the specific pickups etc. to play metal. And metal with too loud bass is just ugly and annoying to listen to.

If you need crunchy sound get an overdrive or distortion pedal.

So I won't vote for any of these :)

6. Although I'm a huge Warwick fanatic I prefer them for other genres than metal.

Although I really think it depends on what subcategory of metal you're talking about, in general I consider Spectors to be the absolute best tone for metal. Get a Euro LX. Stay away from the cheapies.

7. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Get a Stingray! Perfect tone for metal, just make sure you have a decent rig too, that humbucker is HOT. :meh:

8. T-birds because they look kewl

9. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    Any basses there will work for metal. I'll tell you stay away from the P and I can't reccomend you much on the T bird but those other basses will work fine.

10. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    stay away from the p? as in you dont think a pbass would work in metal??

11. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Pbasses work well in all metal settings! Doom, death, thrash, NWOBHM. While they may not be for everyone you can't deny that they suit the genre.

12. CelinderMotoMan

CelinderMotoMan Banned

Apr 4, 2007
    Flint, Mi.
    It seems that today Warwick has taken over a land once dominated by BC Rich.

13. war_n_peace

war_n_peace

Aug 9, 2006
    USA
    Rickenbacker get's my vote...
    :bassist:

14. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    A P bass with roundwounds works excellently for metal. On my P, if I play with a pick it cuts through like you'd never believe and it sits great in the mix. I have tried the same P with worn in flats (trying to get that Steve Harris sound :rolleyes:) and I was lost in the mix... YMMV.

15. svp

svp

Mar 12, 2007
    Atlanta
    None of the above, try a Zon Sonus RTK5. Then you will know:bassist:

16. sarcasticon

sarcasticon

Aug 14, 2007
    Belgium
    Any would do though personally I wouldn't go for the P-bass.
    A decently powerful bass, enough overdrive/distortion, some downtuning if necessary + a good amp and you're set...
    Many bass players I know stick to Warwick, though these tend to have rather heavy necks so first check if that's your thing.
    The preference also depends hugely on the type of metal you're aiming for (heavy/power, doom/death, black,...) since some will ask for a more versatile lighter tone (I could see a P-bass work fine here) while others focus on the deeper end (typically pick something with EMG or similar pickups).

17. yeah,because all of us have $2000+ in the bank to splurge on a bass.I'm content with my P Bass Custom.

18. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Dude you can use anything for metal, depending on the tone you want to achieve THEN I think recommendations can be made.

DO you play a lot of new metal, where you need more boom and less definition, or thrash where a Fat toned P/J would come in hand, maybe death metal where tight articulation is needed, I would totally recommend the warwick for that. Give us a bit more details.

19. HeavyFingers

HeavyFingers

Mar 18, 2006
    NOVA
    I voted for Spector's. I have an Euro Rebop 4DLX myself and its a bass that can be used for any style of music b/c of how full-range the sound is (even though I mostly use it for metal). They are also a pretty punchy bass which works great in metal. Also, if bands like Nile and Cannibal Corpse are using Spector's then I'd say thats good enough for me!:bassist:

20. neuromancer

neuromancer

Apr 28, 2005
    CT, USA
    I think it's safe to say that any of the above basses (or just about any bass for that matter) will work for metal, especially if EQ'd properly. However, as a long-time Spector player, I voted as such. ;)

I agree with an above post regarding OD: check out the available OD and distortion pedals, make sure there's a "blend" or "clean" knob.