1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Metal Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zenthan, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zenthan

Zenthan

Sep 17, 2008
    I've been a bassist for a while now and I'm upgrading to a new bass. I play heavy metal, I'm more into slipknot style thrash. Anyone have any recommendations for a good heavy metal bass?

2. Aenima

Aenima

Aug 24, 2007
    St. Louis
  3. Well, nearly any bass could be used really depending on what you want your soundto be and how you want it to come through. Alot of metal guys these days are using Jazz basses wether Fender or otherwise. For example, Martine Mendez of Opeth uses a Fender Marcus Miller Jazz, Jason Newstead used Sadowsky Jazz basses in Metallica for some time. Personally, I think one of the Musicman Stingrays with two pups would work really well. That MM style pup gets through the mix quite well.

4. cbass717

cbass717

Jun 30, 2008
    WARWICK $$

5. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

try the ibanez SRX series, they vary in price, but they are basically the same ( same electronics) with steel strings those things cut heads

6. Zenthan

Zenthan

Sep 17, 2008
    I'm sorry for my ignorance (I'm still new to bass terms) but what are MM pickups?

~Edit: My price range would be up to $700 - 800

7. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1 on the SRX, I had one for a bit and the only reason I sold it was because I needed money. I like SRXs, though I would prefer if the preamp had a mid control rather than just being 2-band.

8. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    MM = Music Man... MM pickups are the big humbuckers with two exposed rows of huge pole pieces.

9. cbass717

cbass717

Jun 30, 2008
    humbuckers like the kind tht are found on a MusicMan stingray

10. When I was referring to MM pickups, I meant the big humbucker on a Music Man (hence MM) bass.

Seeing as how your price range is only up to 800, I would all but forget a Music Man. I've never owned a Peavey, but I played Peavey Zodiac bass, and was actually quite impressed. It had ballsy attitude, and played well. It was around $400, and I think it sounded better than my Mexican Fender Deluxe P Bass.

11. Zenthan

Zenthan

Sep 17, 2008
    I was looking at the Ibanez SRX series, and they appeal to me. Any advice on which one to pick?

12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.