Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

metal bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sic_bassist, Sep 10, 2002.

1. I think slipknot is one of the best metal bands around, but there bassist paul gray (#2), i dont know that much about. so if anyone has anything on him let me know, especially his playing style.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, he's alright,, when you hear him... He's not on the high rung of talented metal bassists, but he is good. He plays, i think, warwick dolphin lefty's. Slipknot is one of those bands, if they can make EVERYTHING come together, they sound pretty good,,,,, but when they don't .... they don't pull it off very,,, uh,,, elagently?

3. Iced Rush

Iced Rush

Sep 22, 2002
    CA
    well you forgot to add that slipknot arnt and probably will never be metal....

4. if u wouldnt consider slipknot metal then what r they. i like them for them, anyway.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh, gee, thanks for that.:rolleyes:

6. hayngman

hayngman

Aug 20, 2002
    Wise County, TX
    Slipknot is actually nu-metal or alternative metal which I don't consider near the same as heavy metal, but I like them nonetheless. I don't know much about #2 but he does what he can considering he shares the mix with eight other people. He has no room to overdo it so he takes the straightforward approach.

7. Iced Rush

Iced Rush

Sep 22, 2002
    CA
    well slipknot isnt either nu (metal?) its hardcore rock o_O

8. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    He uses lefty thumb four string basses tuned down to drop A tunning I think. He does lock in with Joey very very well (Who is a increadible drummer in my opinion). I wouldnt call them rock, they are a bit heavier then most metal bands I have heard (Not including the Black, Death, and Grindcore bands I listen to) but this is one of those things that people will allways argue about.

Completely off topic but if you want to listen to a good bassist in a metal style band, listen to Dog Fashion Disco, kinda crazy music, alot of influences and creativity going on in that band and the bassist has an great low mid sound and plays some really good groves.