1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

METAL BRIDGE?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by humdinger, Feb 10, 2005.

1. humdinger

humdinger

Jun 12, 2001
    Parkersburg Wv
    Has anyone out there saw a metal bridge? I saw one at a bluegrass festival,but the guy was less than friendly about it.I liked the sound.He wouldn't tell me where he bought it.The bridge was cast(unknown metal)and had 4 adjustable feet.If anyone knows about these I'd sure like to hear from you!!

2. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    You'll find one on ebay once in a while. The consensus on TB seems to be that they inhibit the sound and aren't very popular, even if they're nearly indestructible.

3. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I saw on on EBAY a few days ago also - go check there - though I would do a search and read some of the threads about them, including some not-so positive reminisces from our older TBers.....

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've got one laying around in a box somewheres. They aren't anything close to a quartered maple bridge, sound-wise; but the metal bridges fit just about any 3/4 or larger bass with a couple of twists of the feet.

5. My mother-inlaw had one on her Kay she plays blue grass with for a while. There's a guy in Oklahoma that makes them.

It was supose to be louder than a maple bridge. I couldn't hear any difference on her bass with the nylon strings she was using.

She has since put her maple bridge back on.

It had a north/south cross brace below what would be a traditional bridge. There were four rubber tipped screw feet, two where traditional bridge feet would be and one centered but 3 inches above the bridge and the other centered and 3 inches below the bridge.

The only advantage I could see is that it probably would not fall like a traditional bridge if banged during transport.

I would imagine that the rubber tips on the feet would absorb some sound.

6. I think this one was made by Framus....the company that made those German cut-aways, No?
    So, your mother-in-law is a bass player? I don't know what to say about that!

7. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Now there is absolutely NO call for that sort of language!!!

:)

8. :D