Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

METAL BRIDGE?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by humdinger, Feb 10, 2005.

1. humdinger

humdinger

Jun 12, 2001
    Parkersburg Wv
    Has anyone out there saw a metal bridge? I saw one at a bluegrass festival,but the guy was less than friendly about it.I liked the sound.He wouldn't tell me where he bought it.The bridge was cast(unknown metal)and had 4 adjustable feet.If anyone knows about these I'd sure like to hear from you!!

2. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    You'll find one on ebay once in a while. The consensus on TB seems to be that they inhibit the sound and aren't very popular, even if they're nearly indestructible.

3. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I saw on on EBAY a few days ago also - go check there - though I would do a search and read some of the threads about them, including some not-so positive reminisces from our older TBers.....

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've got one laying around in a box somewheres. They aren't anything close to a quartered maple bridge, sound-wise; but the metal bridges fit just about any 3/4 or larger bass with a couple of twists of the feet.

5. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    My mother-inlaw had one on her Kay she plays blue grass with for a while. There's a guy in Oklahoma that makes them.

It was supose to be louder than a maple bridge. I couldn't hear any difference on her bass with the nylon strings she was using.

She has since put her maple bridge back on.

It had a north/south cross brace below what would be a traditional bridge. There were four rubber tipped screw feet, two where traditional bridge feet would be and one centered but 3 inches above the bridge and the other centered and 3 inches below the bridge.

The only advantage I could see is that it probably would not fall like a traditional bridge if banged during transport.

I would imagine that the rubber tips on the feet would absorb some sound.

6. I think this one was made by Framus....the company that made those German cut-aways, No?
    So, your mother-in-law is a bass player? I don't know what to say about that!

7. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Now there is absolutely NO call for that sort of language!!!

:)

8. :D