Metal/Emo band

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by new_2_bass, Sep 18, 2006.

1. new_2_bass

new_2_bass

Apr 22, 2006
    Ok... Im not all that great at bass. But im decent. Im in a Emo/Metal band and i just want to know, what would be a good speed for the bass? And at a concert where how would you set up with two guitarists a bassist/singer and a drummer?

2. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Emo/Metal? :eyebrow:

3. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    1.what would be a good speed for the bass?

Same SPEED as everyone else.

2.And at a concert where how would you set up with two guitarists a bassist/singer and a drummer?

To the left of the drummer.

4. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    Set up in your garage and practice. not to be a jerk but if you got to ask a question like that your not ready to play in a concert setting......unless this emo/metal stuff you play is just a bunch of headbanging depression type stuff. As far as the speed to play? Again set up in your garage and practice. :bassist:

5. Aeolian-Terror

Aeolian-Terror

Sep 20, 2005
    Seriously Do not sour the Metal name with Emo Please... It is Screamo better known as Refuse. But yea As far as speed goes i think you mean Do you play note for note the guitars or be more rythmic with the drums... Try both out and see what you like best... Note for note Guitar be like Playing bass to slayer.... where as feeling it would be like Opeth's Damnation album. Anyhow gluck and drop the HAwthorne heights taking back sunday crap and buy Slayers-Reign In Blood and Nevermore's THis godless endeavor. good way to get into real metal.

Aaron D.

6. +1.

Always good to be playing at the same "speed" as the rest of your band IMHO. :smug: :smug:

7. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Emo makes me sick.

8. Okay, now people, this guy came and asked you about his setup, and you start bashing the type of music he plays :s? *** ?

9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    As you can see, it's better not to feel compelled to give your music a label....especially not something trendy like "Emo". Just call it heavy rock or something, then ask your questions.

Can you explain your question about "speed" a bit?

10. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    If you're talking about picking as fast as your guitar players pick (if they're double picking at high speed), you may not be able to keep up if you're using fingers, so you can half the finger picking. Or, you could write different basslines and play them the way you want.

11. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY

dude your sig speaks for yourself lol

12. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Well...the right bass is the bass that please you. I know that the Fender Precision is quite popular among Emo bands, but play whatever fits YOU the best.

13. the words emo and metal should NEVER be used in the same sentence. :scowl:

14. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    Ok i recently joined a metal band having never played metal before. At first i found it pretty quick as a finger player, especially as the songs are much faster live than on CD.
    However after a few weeks i began to find things much easier and founf my fingerstyle had become much tighter and more accurate as a happy by product. Feel free to dive over to www.myspace.com/balanceofsilence to hear some stuff, although i hasten to add its the old bass player playing on there NOT me!!, but i found it a great introduction to playing metal and maybe you will find the songs helpful to learn.
    Good Luck!

15. Holy crap I forgot all about that, wait wait wait, I'm not making fun of music though... And it wasnt me who said that...

:bag:

i just got self-owned

16. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve

Jul 30, 2006
    At the gig, take a small 25W practice amp to save on weight, and when the show starts, turn it off. Seriously. Just act as if you are playing with exaggerated picking motions and jump around a lot. If you feel that you must turn the amp on, then make sure you pick way up on the fretboard and make sure your playing has absolutely no definetion. Crank the bass knob on the EQ and turn the treble and middle all the way down. Make sure the tone knob on the bass is all the way down too.

In an age where it's more about fashion than music, you MUST make sure the music doesn't get any better than the actual fashion show happening off the stage. You are just there for looks. Hopefully you notified all your friends on myspace so you get a large crowd.

Sorry for the long rant or if that offends anyone, but I really needed to get that out of my system.

17. AckAckAttack

AckAckAttack

Aug 27, 2006
    Before you start bashing on bands or genres, please get your information straight. Bands like Hawthorne Heights and Taking Back Sunday have been wrongly identified as being screamo bands, while the real genre of screamo has been around for quite some time, starting with bands like Saetia (1997), and Reversal of Man (1997), and sounds like nothing of that of the previous bands stated. I'm not trying to start fights, but please do your research before posting. I don't even like Hawthorne Heights or Taking Back Sunday, but I just think to criticize someone based on their preference of music is rediculous.

18. new_2_bass

new_2_bass

Apr 22, 2006
    For one thats not what i meant. I mean some songs are going to be emo, some are going to be metal. Two- Im not in it for looks. Im in it for music.

19. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    +1 :ninja:

20. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    Hmmm, new_2_bass, this is the wrong forum for your questions, try Misc. Forum. You can try the search as well, I'm sure you'll find some usefull info that way. :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021