1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Metal Fest - cancelled in progress as big acts and stage crew pull out

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by QORC, Sep 18, 2017.

1. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elborn, New Jersey
    quite amazing this. An example of how not to run a festival. Also, I found it curious that the "600-1000" people there when the plug was pulled on this was considered "sizeable". Played in front of far more than that at your run of the mill bikefest. but anyway, interesting - fingers pointed in all directions and nobody admitting where the money for the tickets sold ($50K-$100K estimated) went.

Shrinedom Charity Concert Crumbles

2. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Sounds like they violated the rule of the "quiet sponsorship period". When I put on events, I make sure I have enough corporate sponsors to cover basic expenses that are critical to the operation of the show (like the bands, and the stage crew). This sales period happens with only a website up for credibility, and some paper flyers with spaces for the names of the sponsors, as well as one big anchor sponsor to give it credibility. There are no ticket sales, and no other promotion efforts at this point.

After you get your sponsorship money in -- enough to fund the event -- THEN you go after the ticket sales, vendor booths, and all the other stuff that generates revenue. That way the show can go on no matter what happens.

This promoter's credibility is shot, as is Shriners....