Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metal Genres - help me out!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Marlat, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Okay so it seems like everyday a new metal genre is "forming" so recently I have been on a bit of a metal buying spree and would like to know the names of the genres of the bands I have bought (for future buying reasons). So, inform me...please! :)

Mastoson - "Leviathan"
    Shadows Fall - "The War Within"
    Dillenger Escape Plan - "Miss Machine"
    Pig Destroyer - "Terrifier"
    Tomahawk - self titled
    Lamb of God - "Ashes of the Wake"

2. I think Lamb of God would be considered as New American Metal. The new Shadows Fall album sounds sort of like Metal-Core.

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I think Dillenger Escape Plan would be hardcore, but I've also heard it been called something like 'Math Metal'. By the way, I've heard many great things about 'Ashes of the Wake', but haven't bought it yet... is it any good?

Graeme :)

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Tomahawk is awesomecore

5. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    If you like Miss Machine, pick up Calculating Infinity. You won't be dissapointed.

the Dillinger Escape Plan and Pig destroyer are on the Relapse label (www.relapse.com). The bios of the bands on there are excellent, you might be able to find the classification you're looking for.

EDIT: Excellent choices by the way. Of those bands I've seen Shadows Fall and DEP live. If they ever come to Australia, see them. DEP is the best live band I've ever seen.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I like metal vocals for the most part, but DEP's non Patton singers are awful.

7. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I don't want to start an off topic flame war here, but I thought Dimitri Minakakis was awesome. Better than Patton in fact. But, we all have our opinions and it all good.

Ok, thats all :)

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I must say that DEP and Mastodon are the two that have really jumped out at me. I only got Pig Destroyer yesterday (much to my girlfriends delight) and am struggling with the vocals a little, but the music is awesome - some of the coolest riffing i've heard in a while.

Shadows Fall and Lamb of God seem a little bit dull...I like them and they rock hard, but they dont really have the "it" that makes bands like DEP, Opeth, Katatonia etc stand out (IMO). Nevertheless they are still getting regular spins!

I have got Calculating Infinity and Remission on the xmas list for my brothers and sisters to pick up for me! :D

9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I think there are way too many metal genres. I swear I think people just sit around making them up :rollno: I know its to help identify a certain "style" of metal but geesh. I wish I could help with what "genres" you have purchsed but I can't make sense of them anymore!

Sorry for my little hijack/rant.

(...now back to your regularly scheduled thread... :D )

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    agreed Kelly...

example: hardcore is heavy punk but not metal... metalcore is hardcore that is metal... but hardcore kids get pissed when you call them metal. You have to pay attention to hair length and wallet chain placement... :rollno: