metal grills

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xkrowboi, Feb 18, 2006.

1. xkrowboi

Feb 18, 2006
    I've been shopping around for a bass cab as of late and I noticed that all of them have a metal grill....

Does the metal grill help/enhance the sound somehow? Is it better to have a metal one vs. a cloth grill?

I'd realli like to know because if its just cosmetic i'll just swap it out for a cloth one. (I personally don't care much for the metal grill :spit: )

any input would be helpful...thanx!
  2. Not at all, alot of makers still use cloth

But a few things

B) Try putting your foot through a cloth grill and ruining your speakers, now, try doing that with a metal grill, its all about protection, thats what the grill is there for . . .
  3. punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    I wish ampeg would use a metal grill on the 8x10 damnit....
  4. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I'd much prefer to have a metal grill over a cloth for the exact reason posted above, protection.
  5. Im stuck in choice between an Ampeg 810 and a Peavey 810 atm, i know they are both different sounding, but i really like the ampeg sound and i also really like the peavey sound, however, one thing is for sure, if i get an ampeg 810, im gonna make sure it gets modded and has a metal grill similar to that of the peavey :)
  6. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

why is that? its the amp forum, no? lots of cab questions here.
  7. It was in the basses forum, and has been moved
  8. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Put grill cloth over your metal grill.
  9. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Yup, it's for protection and durability purposes.
  10. xkrowboi

Feb 18, 2006
    (sorry bout that! I could've sworn I was in the right forum :meh:)

Granted...its for protection. But maybe I'm just used to guitar cabs and the elegance of cloth... But that is a good idea putting the grill cloth over the metal grill... I appreciated the input...sorry for being such a *newb*:bag:

why would you kick your bass cab...?
  11. You wouldn't kick it, but stuff happens. It's the reason you have tolex or carpet over your cab too, if it was bare wood, the wood could get damaged. Your speakers cones are made of paper, not too hard to have something accidentally puncture through grillcloth and then a speaker such as drum hardware during loadup after a gig. It's just added protection and IMO it looks a lot classier, professional and awesome. Bass is about power and strength, not about doilies.
  12. ParryPerson

ParryPerson Banned

Feb 16, 2006
    Shreveport Louisiana
    Metal grills just make more sense. These a bass cabinets, your going to be lugging them around places, and having a metal grill is just more protection. I know in the dives my bands played they have saved my cabs more than once. I even ripped the cloth grill out of my very old Peavey Black Widow 15'' (the very small cabinet kind, only fits on TOP of my newer Peavey 4x10, using it for mids) and fab'ed a metal grill for it. Just makes sense.

And it seems to me that cloth would hinder your tone more than a metal grill would (if it does at all).
  13. was just showing the protection point
  14. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    That would be a really good idea...time to make my newer Sunn cab look like an old one :D
  15. Neither will hinder your sound usually, as long as it is covering less than 50% of the surface area.
  16. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    All my GK's have metal grilles, and it's a darn good thing. Would've lost the 15" a few times due to a stupid guitarist. (Don't ask -- he hit a few wrong notes then threw his Tele at my cabs, then it continued to bounce off the cement floor, and he was quickly removed from the building)

And the best part, when the finish on a black grille chips, nothing a Sharpie can't fix. My grilles look great from a couple of feet, but up close, those things are REALLY REALLY chipped.
  17. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

well now, my foot is firmly and solidly in my mouth as i type this.

(hmm... bubble gum. is that grape?! yum!)
  18. xkrowboi

Feb 18, 2006
    So... I did some investigative work on the issue and it turns out that bass cabs are in fact fitted w/ metal grills for more than just durability....

Due to the fact that bass speakers and frequencies push more air out, to put a cloth grill in front of that createds an undesirable "swishing" sound that is more than noticable (so i've been told) To solve this, they put metal grills with huge gratings so air can move freely. Even ampeg cabs/amps that have a cloth grill "look" is actually made of a kind of plasticy material.

So! Mystery solved! Now i don't feel so bad buying one ;-)
  19. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    This is true to an extent. A lot of early cabs with cloth grills did make a noise. Some of the early metal ones used to rattle. I prefer the metal ones. I've seen a lot of mic stands poked through cloth grills during set up, tear down and bar fights.
  20. cosmetics alone I preffer cloth , I dont gig that much so Im not that concerned on proctecting the cab .. besides with a metal grill the cabs would look like P.A. subs ;)