Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metal Hammer Readers-Thou hast failed me

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Ahmrik, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Hi,
    I got the new copy of Metal Hammer magazine (Not sure if you get it in USA).

It was the issue in which the results of the readers poll awards were released.

Best Frontman-Bruce Dickinson, Iron Maiden (Deserved)
    Best Guitarist-Mick Thompson, Slipknot (Also Deserved)
    Best Drummer-Joey Jordison, Slipknot (Very Deserved)
    BEST BASSIST-Fieldy, Korn :spit:

2. Hahahah what a laugh. Well I guess he has a destictive style that people remember, doesn't mean he is especially tallented though.

Must....resist.....Fieldy.....bashing.....threads......

3. If that's not bad enough, just got a message from a new band to meet up today for an audition. He says I'll be wearing a Korn t-shirt. :help: I cannot escape!!

4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Pretty sad in a day and age of absolutely wonderful underground metal, many fans opt for the commercialized and/or 30 year old crap.

5. Bassmonk3y

Bassmonk3y

Sep 19, 2005
    Tacoma, Wa
    I don't even think that the drummer and guitarist from slipknot should have won either. I mean, yeah, I'll give them props for being pretty darn good, but the BEST? I can't help but cringe.. Have they not heard the new Nile drummer? As far as phenomenal metal drumming goes, THAT guy should be nominated for Grand Poobah of the Universe..he's inhuman!!

As for fieldy as best bassist, it just seems like the same old crud to me.. people just scrape the topmost layer of the metal world and never dig any deeper.. where the true monsters lie.

Fieldy best metal bassist.. The man sounds like he's shaking a box of tic-tacs for pete's sake!! :D

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    bah, Rustey Cooley is without a doubt the best guitarist in metal today....

but then, I've never read Metal Hammer for years, metal music holds little interest to me these days.

7. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
  8. I like a lot of Metal Hammer's articles, but they now have way too much mainstream metal....I really dig Decibel. They really delivered good end-of-the-year awards. Best album: Pelican.

9. Don't take any notice of those polls. A few years ago, Nadje from Coal Chamber won best bassist, despite the fact that she'd only been in the band a few months, and the only people who would have heard her were the relative few who saw CC live...

Nothing to do with her consistant parading across MH's 'hallowed' pages?:eyebrow:

Attached Files:

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Wow, I didn't think anybody still read that one.
    I occasionally read some Rockhard, but that's it.

11. ryan martinie should have been voted best bassist and the drummer grom dimmu borger the best drummer

lowsound

12. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    uuheauheauhea, what a crap!! My cousin has has a metal band and is a much better bassist. I find Krist Novoselic a better bassist than this korn guy. At least Krist has done some cool, melodic lines while this Fieldy guy sounds horrible, muddy, just hitting low notes with all bass up and no mid groove.

13. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    By the way...for me the best metal bassist is Felipe Andreolli from Angra. Tapping, slapping, 3 fingers...he does everything with perfection and light speed. I went to a Angra show some months ago and they played some slows songs and during those songs he played a fretless 6...I was just in awe!! :eek:

14. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    This kind of stuff has been going on for years. I remember when Nikki Sixx was voted best bassist all the time in Hit Parader, Circus, Faces, etc. magazines while Steve Harris and other obviously better bassists were nudged to the side or forgotten about altogether. It's all about the trend and it'll never change.

15. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Angra guitar/bass battle on Google Video...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2298265087432536730&q=angra

Shockingly good bassist. :D

16. 1. FIELDY SUCKS
    2. mick thompson best guitarist? ***! most of the metal now days (atleast the bands i've heard anyway) guitarists suck, tehres nothing great about them, ESPECIALLY mick thomson, i think there has to be atleast some metal guitarists that are a bit better than him

and joey jordinson definately deserved that award though, everyone else in slipknot is pretty much talentless, but he's amazing

17. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005