1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Metal in my fingers?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by waxlabltabler, Mar 30, 2009.

1. waxlabltabler

waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Ohio
    Even though I have flatwounds, I wonder whether any stray splinters/"hairs" creep out. Should I... sand my strings from time to time?

2. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    Metal in your fingers? Metal pours in my VAINS! \m/

Do you get metal in your fingers from playing? maybe ease up on the string attack?

3. some strings have felt 'rougher' to me but my fingers have never been damaged,... (well ok they hurt after playing for 4 hours straight but thats nothing a callus wont fix)

4. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I've never heard of anyone complaining of this. I would think sanding your strings would increase the risk of stray pieces of metal getting into you fingers, though

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Stray shards of metal on strings would be a major health hazard. I'm sure any string manufacturer that shipped bass razor wire would be out of business and sued repeated by any who used their strings.

If your hands are being damaged from major brands of strings you're obviously doing something wrong or you've not played long enough to build up some finger durability.

6. I wouldn't worry about it. And sanding strings is definitely a very bad idea :eek:

7. Please let me know which brand(s) splinter so I don't buy them!!:eek:

8. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I've never heard of that happening.

You do know how a typical string is constructed, right? It might not be a bad idea to read up on it. It pays to be well-informed. ;)

The only thing you might possibly "need" to worry about is breaking a string, and that's rare enough for a bass player (unless you play very aggressively on your thinner strings) that you really shouldn't.

Remember: your bass is wood. Your strings are not. If anything's going to splinter, it's a poorly sanded bass body with no finish. Or a smashed bass body. :D

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Sometimes my fingertips feel like they have little splinters after playing a long time. Especially on thre tips of my fingers on my fretting hand.

10. waxlabltabler

waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Ohio
    Right, that's what I mean. Maybe they're getting pinched or something, but the ache is different. It's more pointed.

11. Ossaris

Ossaris

Mar 2, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    That's normal my fingers usually feel like that after long hours of playing. :D you should be fine! After awhile you get used to it. But strings do not splinter. (just for the hell of it) PUNK ROCK WILL NEVER KILL THE METAL!:bassist:

12. I have experienced this before and I have attributed it too small cuts in my fingertips, not actual shards of metal stuck in them. Strings are made from wound wire, so its unlikely that would cause shards of metal to be on them. That is usually the by product of milling and machining. Not sure if I am right about the cut thing, but I have checked pretty closely for splinters of metal and never found any. Maybe you just need to man up and enjoy the pain :)

13. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    Man that was a great comeback, i am still laughing! :hyper: