Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metal Jazz Fusion

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Petary791, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm looking for some more Metal Jazz Fusion, like the song "Rivers Dancing" by Gordian Knot. If you want me to send you the song so you have a guideline, AIM me at EyCroce791. Hit me with some suggestions!

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Not familiar with the song you mentioned but have you heard Cynic? It's the Seans' (rythm section of GK) former band. Also check out these bands: Athiest, Spiral Architect and Spastik Ink. There more good ones...I'm drawing a blank though.

Check out Alarum. I've been listening to this band like crazy. They're freakin awesome!! Super-tech jazz infused progressive metal from Australia. Highly reccomended to fans of any of the bands mentioned. Go to the dowloads page and listen to the 2 songs on there...
    http://www.alarum.com.au/

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'll check it out when I get home. What's a good Cynic CD? I might just get all of them.

4. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Cynic's one CD was Focus. They had demos which are mentioned from time to time, but I have not been able to obtain copies. Spiral Architect is an insane band worth checking out; Lars Norberg actually plays a FRETTED bass on Sceptic's but is using an Ibanez GWB1 now, same as Sean Malone. The Aghora self titled album is also worth checking out. The soundclips I've heard from the latest album lead me to believe though that the second Aghora album has become happy-core with progressive elements. Also check out Watchtower. I found a website through progarchives.com which hosted their soundclips, and I highly recommend listening to them to gain a greater appreciation for Cynic.

5. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    They only had 1 "Focus," but its a classic.

6. smartinson

smartinson

Dec 15, 2005
    Bettendorf, IA
    I'm not sure if this would fall into the proper category but Dillinger Escape Plan are pretty out there. I think there are some definite jazzy/fusiony (is that a word?) parts in their songs. They tend to use odd metering and weird rhythmic patterns so they are definitely worth a listen. Check out Miss Machine for some good music as well as the song title that is the same as the poster above me 43% Burnt. Outrageous song.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Check outh Ephel Duath, The Mass, and Sau. ED's Painter's Palette is amazing and features some killer trumpet work. The Mass is in a similar vein, but less prog and they have a sax player.

Sau could be found on myspace.com. I forget their sound, but I remember digging it.

This thread has some good suggestions to check out. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199594

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I forgot to add something.

I DON'T DO SCREAMING!!!!!!! :mad:

The Alarum song "Velocity" was orgasmic until the vocals came in. WHY MUST THEY SCREAM>!>!>>!>!?!??!?!1111oneoneoneeleven

EDIT: The second song was awesome too until the vocals.

9. Primate

Primate

May 16, 2005
    hahaha, on that note, DON'T listen to The Dillinger Escape Plan

10. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

While you're at it, don't listen to Cynic either.:ninja:

11. Holy c**p, just by chance I clicked on this thread and saw your post about alarum and since I'm from Australia I thought I'd check out their website. I think I used to go to school with the bassplayer 13 years ago! I was wondering what he's been up to all these years...

12. Would you rather him croon like Burt Bacharach?

13. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Mmm...yea. You probably won't like many of my suggestions since I tend to enjoy the more extreme spectrum of the genre.

I still think Cynic is worth a listen. I think theres a song or 2 on progarchives.com

Out of curiosity...what kind of vocals do you like?

14. My bet is the James Labrie styled vocals. Very high and good singing. I used to haaaaate any screaming, but my mind has opened up a lot with Between the Buried and Me, Dark Tranquility, Meshuggah, Opeth, etc.

15. I was searching through TB for fusion stuff and found this thread. Check out the band Farmakon. They always mix things upp with some cool stuff.

16. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I have recently gotten some Children of Bodom and Opeth albums, so the screaming's growing on me. I plan on getting the Cynic CD in the near future.

And as to singing I like? My favorite ever are the guys from Yes, and I love Adrian Belew, Geddy Lee, James LaBrie, pretty hi-pitched stuff. Ideally, no words works for me (hence the fusion aspect.)

17. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Mahavishnu Orchestra -
    The Inner Mounting Flame
    and
    Birds of Fire

These were made in the early 1970's so why they're not all quite metal a lot of metal guitar licks were taken from John McLaughlin. Plus it has Billy Cobham on drums and Jan Hammer on keys.

18. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Spiral Architect. It sounds like the most complex Dream Theater instrumental you can think of, add LaBrie-esque vocals, and one of the awesomest Jaco influenced bassists (who actually plays a FRETTED on this album). They have some free examples on their website at http://www.spiralarchitect.com

19. Niacin might be what your after with Billy Sheehan on bass. Also Trevor Dunn's (Mr Bungle etc) Trio Convulsant might be up your street, if a little of the chart! Also check out a group called Laundry with Tim Alexander (Primus). Both of there albums are free to download as well as various demos from here.

20. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Alright i'm currently downloading all that Laundry stuff. I'll check out those other bands that you guys mentioned too.