Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metal me up

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Apr 14, 2004.

1. So now that I am in my Grind-core metal band, I should metal my look up for show, because right now I look more like the dad from "Honey, I shrunk the kids". What are some staples of Metal look that I absolutly need? I would post a pic, but im at school right now so I can't do that. I will post one later.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Just know your metal, and nobody will give you any crap. If you go in only knowing like two metal bands, then you're in for it. But if you know your stuff, you could be dressed like anything you damn well please, and nobody'll say a word.

3. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    don't listen to brendan. he just wants to retain his status as metalqueen.

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

hmm this is an odd topic. I will move to band management.

Metal, well just try not to look Emo. Jeans and t-shirt, black is the standard. But any will work. Short hair, long hair doesnt matter. Just keep making the classic "I'm constipated" metal face.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Don't listen to BrokenAngel. She's not even metal, she's clubgoth.

6. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    we prefer gothic lolita :p

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Still not metal.

8. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    well neither is grindcore really...

9. one word -KILT !!!!!

But seriously, old jeans and a black t-shirt should be good to go. It does get hot up on stage though, so i would suggest shorts of some kind...but not if you have scrawny little bird legs (this also applies to the kilt if you were considering it)

10. Be different! Wear a chinchilla fur coat, dye your hair green, put on star-shaped sunglasses, and smoke peat moss in a clay pipe. Now that would be METAL.

Seriously, if you really to be metal, grow your hair or shave them, and don't forget the mandatory goatee and black clothes. Leather is also highly recommended. Then, do that grim, I-witnessed-the-aftermath-of-the-end-of-times face and you'll be in business. Then you'll look like 1,000,000 other "marginal" people.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
  12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Whatever you do, don't go overboard. Lots of metal band dudes look like comic book characters or something. It's just silly.

Don't be this guy:

[​IMG]

Hey! That would make a great avatar!

13. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Don't worry about it. The guys in Dillinger Escape Plan look the same way.

Just look like yourself and don't smile in any band photos. ;)

14. I got my hair spiked, now is that metal or what?

15. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Get your eyeballs pierced. That just screams hardcore.

Try to look like this all the time => :mad:

Zodion likes this.
  16. When and where are you guys playing anyway ? I might just make the trip up there from the Springs to see you.

17. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah man, most of these bands that dress up like demons or something from the apocalypse are just putting on a show. Slipknot comes to mind. For a good example take Pantera or Slayer... Pantera can be seen in blue jeans and flannel shirts and Slayer a T-Shirt and shorts sometimes... well maybe back in the 80's they did wear tight leather pants and such but they don't now, it's not in any kind of fashion. They dress up for a sweating hot set ready to kick some arse, these days there isn't much of a fashion sense in metal other than what you wanna wear goes...

18. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It also seems like most bands who focus so much on image on the ones who don't last as long. They become dated. Slayer, Pantera - guys like this got huge based on music, not on image. Don't try too hard to look metal and you'll be fine.

Zodion likes this.
  19. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Right on the money. It's the music that counts not your image, just wear whatever you would normally wear, but it has to breath and have some air-flow or your gonna get really hot playing with the intensity metal requires.

20. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    [​IMG]

zzztakezzzuszzztozzzyourzzzleaderszzzz