metal music - picks or fingers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by downward spiral, Jul 28, 2001.

1. downward spiral

downward spiral

Jul 20, 2001
    I;m kind of starting out with bass and I want to know what is more appropriate for metal/ hard rock/ alt. rock - picks or fingers... anything else specific to that genre I should learn?
  2. I am in a metal band. I started out with a pick just to get confidence in playing the songs. Get the left hand working with out too much thinking. Only now, some three to four years after i started playing, i am slowly doing away with the pick.

Some songs i just have to use a pick, afterall the pick is an effect of some sort. There is a lot of debates about what is preffered, its all personal preference, i stay on the fence and use both techniques, helps to be diverse.

3. Yeah... i go with both, just depends on how heavy the riff is... or how fast.
  4. It all depends on your preference and the sound you're trying to achieve. I personally use my fingers. I find it much more expressive than a pick.
  5. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    PERSONALLY I cannot recommend using your fingers for metal. It's just not for me and I much prefer the harder sound achieved with a pick (Plus, if you're competing with two guitars and a snare drum you need all the extra volume you can get) BUT this is not to say that you should rule it out completely.

It's a matter of personal taste and the song in question. I would choose a pick almos all the time (assuming speed is not an issue).

But that's just me.
  6. if you can, do both. not just by themself, go for both at the same time. i always that that you could make awesome solos if you had a pick in yer thumb and index, and your other three fingers plucking. it would be sweet.
  7. I almost always use the fingers. Much more exprecion and with me also more power and volume, you got to create some horny skin though. I sometimes still have blisters and pick up a pick, but it always sounds worse, more flat, less dynamic. Yesteday though we were reshapping an old Black Sabbath song (sympton of the universe) and while having blisters allready (after eight hours playing) I used a pick and that song sounded maybe even better with a pick, but the song is so straight forward banging that you can really go nuts with a pick, a little more subtile is something I have to use my fingers fore, but as said many times here it's very personal.

8. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I think using a pick doesn't give a full rich tone like fingers do. But if I have to play fast, I use a pick.