1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Metal (music) Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gizmobltd, Sep 30, 2008.

1. gizmobltd

gizmobltd

Jun 25, 2007
    Scranton
    In the band that im in, we do alot of drop c tuning. Is there thicker strings out there so that the low e doesnr feel so loose? Thanks in advance.

2. Just use thicker gauge strings.

I was in a band that tuned to G and I chucked some D'Addario EXL160s on it (I'm pretty sure that's what they were). One string was so thick it broke my nut (on my bass).

Also, check out what some of your favorite bassists use (providing they're in low tuning).

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    The common set of gauges on many basses is 45-65-85-105. That usually works well for normal EADG tuning, but it can get pretty flimsy for drop-tuning. Fortunately, for virtually every brand and type of string out there, you will find a variety of other gauges for each.

Just look on the package, and it'll tell you the gauge of each string.

If you are playing in drop-C tuning, you most likely want to go up a gauge on everything. Try a 50-70-90-110 or similar set. The most important would be that last string (the .110 E-string), since that's being downtuned the farthest.

Note that you may need to adjust the nut if the strings do not fit comfortably in it. Also, I would recommend not using those higher-gauge strings for normal tuning, because they're pretty stiff at that tuning. For drop-C, it should be fine.

If you generally like the sound of your current strings, you could probably stick to that brand and type, but just get a higher-gauge set. Of course, feel free to try something else as well, depending on the tone you're aiming for.

4. gizmobltd

gizmobltd

Jun 25, 2007
    Scranton

Thanks. One good thing about my "standings" in my band is that im takeing the spot of the current singer. He originally wanted to do bass but gave up. So i can setup his bass with the lower strings and keep mine EADG style until I get a new bass.:bassist::bassist: (both basses)