1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

metal pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lewi_wilko, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    hey im looking to buy a pedal with distortion, also a clean pedal which will give my bass a realy good kick (something ideal for metal) and i would apreciate it if these pedals could be easily found in the uk
    cheers :cool:

2. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    have you tried the Hartke vxl pedal?

sounds great and is really versatile - has a harmonics control that basically can sound like you are driving your amp to within an inch of it's life.

and all for about £80 or so. E(vil)Bay is always a good source.

3. russian big muff, great dist/fuzz and with the right setting cuts through well. for clean boost a pre amp pedal like the sansamp, mxr m80,or the sansamp copy by behringer like I ordered for $30 to my front door

4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    The SansAmp might be nice for you. Try one out.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Yeah the MXR M-80 is probably your best bet, little hard to find in England but you can import easily enough from Europe.

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I am not crazy about the Sansamp OD, though it is an awesome pedal and I would be really surprised if it didnt meet your cut-through needs. Ive used it with different heads and it is great for getting a tight bottom end and presence.

I use an MXR distortion pedal (saw it laying around the rehearsal area unused for a whie) and it is a horrible choice. Looses all bottom if you go very far below normal guitar range (5th fret D). You can barely hear low notes on it. In a higher register it increases your volume some and has a sick dirty tone, but not my favorite distortion tone.

How good is the distortion on the VXL? I have one coming in the mail sooner or later.

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Sorry was the MXR pedal you tried the distortion plus (yellow small 2 knobs) or the MXR M-80 bass di 2 channel preamp with distortion (black, about 9 knobs or whatever, 2 footswitches), because I was talking about the M-80

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    True that.... I tried out the 2-button small one.