Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

metal pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lewi_wilko, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    hey im looking to buy a pedal with distortion, also a clean pedal which will give my bass a realy good kick (something ideal for metal) and i would apreciate it if these pedals could be easily found in the uk
    cheers :cool:

2. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    have you tried the Hartke vxl pedal?

sounds great and is really versatile - has a harmonics control that basically can sound like you are driving your amp to within an inch of it's life.

and all for about £80 or so. E(vil)Bay is always a good source.

3. russian big muff, great dist/fuzz and with the right setting cuts through well. for clean boost a pre amp pedal like the sansamp, mxr m80,or the sansamp copy by behringer like I ordered for $30 to my front door

4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    The SansAmp might be nice for you. Try one out.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Yeah the MXR M-80 is probably your best bet, little hard to find in England but you can import easily enough from Europe.

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I am not crazy about the Sansamp OD, though it is an awesome pedal and I would be really surprised if it didnt meet your cut-through needs. Ive used it with different heads and it is great for getting a tight bottom end and presence.

I use an MXR distortion pedal (saw it laying around the rehearsal area unused for a whie) and it is a horrible choice. Looses all bottom if you go very far below normal guitar range (5th fret D). You can barely hear low notes on it. In a higher register it increases your volume some and has a sick dirty tone, but not my favorite distortion tone.

How good is the distortion on the VXL? I have one coming in the mail sooner or later.

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Sorry was the MXR pedal you tried the distortion plus (yellow small 2 knobs) or the MXR M-80 bass di 2 channel preamp with distortion (black, about 9 knobs or whatever, 2 footswitches), because I was talking about the M-80

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    True that.... I tried out the 2-button small one.