1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Metal People - Need Help on Final Mix

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by chaosMK, Dec 4, 2006.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    We are just about done with our album. We spent a lot of time and effort on it to put out the best product we can. We are about to give our engineer the last round of notes for what we want done with the mixes.

Here are some pretty final mixes-
    www.myspace.com/leftbrainmusic

If you feel like being critics or are good at producing stuff, please let me know of any ideas that you have. What bugs you about the mix? Are there better ways of doing certain things than what we currently have?

2. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    That sounds really well mixed (to me at least). What amp settings do you run on your bass?

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Not a fan of this genre of metal... but it sounds tight. The vocals sound a little detached from everything... I think a light reverb would help, but that's just me. The drums sound awesome... the drummer's feet slip a couple times, but nothing horrible.

But all and all, I'd say the mix is about ready to go...

4. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Imo/ime, with metal you kind of have to or it is going to sound strange.

I think it sounds pretty good, man.

5. I think the kick drum needs to be re-EQ'd. It's a little hollow sounding. Also, how much compression (and what type/unit) was used on the drum kit? It sounds like it could use some compression. I would also add some to the bass if it hasn't had any. The peaks and valleys were noticeable. It also sounds like the bass could use a slight bump around 200hz and 600hz.

I also agree with the reverb (very slight) on the vocals.

I think it sounds pretty good, however.

6. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    I agree with the kick drum sounding hollow. And if it were me producing it i'd bring the bass up a little more, just a tad. I produced my bands first demo. Click the link at the bottom and if anybody could give me some advice or anything it would be greatly appreciated.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Thanks for the tips! And good observations from everyone.

Drums have been raised about 2 db in the overall mix. We are still working on the bass drum tone. Basically, we originally had the drums low because his performance in the studio wasnt that great. However, after 50,000 edits, the BD work has been cleaned up quite a bit.

Vocals have been "blended" in a little better.

We havent done much EQ work with the mix.

I'll post up some samples of the finished product before long.

Bass: cut the lows, raise the mids a hair, raise the treble. More of a bridge pickup orientation.
    Amp: the bass 400 has a natural mid cut, so i boost the mids quite a bit on it and bump the low mids, cut the bass (pull switch pulled) a bit, cut the treble a bit. i used the 2nd channel on this recording. it's a warm, almost too midrangey tone. mic placement was right in front of the cone.
    Sansamp: this is where my "metal" tone comes from. I used a DI from the Sansamp and the amp/cab miced. The DI sat a little more clearly/aggresively in the mix, so it's a bit more DI than amp/cab.

8. I've found this is where most of the time and money is spent. That will make a huge difference if you have an experienced engineer. You will (or you should) definitely spend more time and money on this part of the process than you did tracking the songs. Tracking is the easy part. Now you are in for the part where people will get in arguments.

9. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Not really my type of metal, but, Sounds good mixed, but am i the only one who has trouble hearing the bass? Or do in eed headphones:O I can only hear it a little, only on a few parts.

10. No, the bass is pretty low. Since the bass frequency was cut when it was recorded, there will be a good amount of work to do in mixing to make up for that.

11. I´m really digging your tone on the clean parts. How did you acheive it? Sounds like you dailed in a truckload of mids?

12. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    Nice Raging Speedhorn / Killswitch Engaged vibe :) (that's the only metalcore bands I know!). The drums need a lot more pep, voice a bit too. a bit of reverb would sound nice. Chorus / tad of overdub, backing vocals maybe?

Sounds like the rythm guitars are taking too much space overall. They sound good though.

my $0.02.

PS : God... why is the Myspace player so CRAP....:rollno:

13. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    There are mad mids there... that's my tone without the Sansamp. I am not too crazy about that tone... almost too warm and midrange for me, but I was short on time.

Making final changes today... thanks for the help everyone!

14. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Final mixes are up. They came out pretty cool. :D

[​IMG]

15. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Final mixes are up. They came out pretty cool. Thanks for the feedback.

[​IMG]

16. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    Ah yes! Much better, now we're talking! Good job!

Still, the player keeps cutting out. :/ Shame, I'm enjoying this :)