Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metal Picks (Plectrums)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Nov 24, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I brought a metal pick the otherday and i have worn it in. The only thing im worried abut is that its going to do some damage to the strings..

what do you guys think about metal picks and does it do any damage to the strings? I like them because they dont wear away, and the get a really different sound out of the bass

Thoughts? Comments?

-Kirbo

2. I've used a dava control metal pick.

The sound was really different and I absolutely hated it.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

When I played in a nu-metal band I experimented with many different picks until I found what worked best for me. I did try metal picks hoping they would last longer, but honestly they were too slippery for me.

I always played in very hot conditions and I just couldn't hang on to the metal pick once my fingers started to sweat (which was in five minutes.) Also I didn't like the way metal picks kind of scratched over the strings.

What finally worked best for me were the heaviest guage Gator Grip picks. I still wore the Gator Grip off in an hour or two, plus the heat from my fingers made them kind of curl after awhile. Thus I bought those picks by the dozens and threw them out after each use. Another member of the band saved my castaways, but I never knew what for.

When I left that band and started playing blues, I returned to fingerstyle picking which I really prefer. Something about using a pick...I never really liked it much.

4. I sometimes use a coin which works fine. I haven't had to replace my strings in about four months of coin use.

However, I do have a light touch when I pick. In order to get around the slippery grip thing, I hack up the face of the coin with a dart.

If you like the sound, there's no reason to stop.