1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

metal picks?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jim primate, Oct 18, 2003.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

any of you pick players use metal picks? i've been using brass picks for about a year now i guess and i think they sound sweet. really good w/ overdrive and stainless steel strings. if you're into that sort of sound.

2. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I just use pennies.

3. jim primate

well i guess it's just me and you then.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I bought some "Hot Licks" picks back in the early 80s, dunno if they are brass or what. Well, they sure as heck don't wear out as fast as plastic picks :rolleyes: I still have all 6 that I bought then. I gave up using them because they gave me just too much edge.

Great for side of pick harmonic "squealers" ala Billy Gibbons, though :cool:

5. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    there are Graphite picks too.

6. jim primate

i had some graphite ones. they wore out. take that. the hotlicks ones i think were copper. i have some. they're thinner than i'd like but they work alright for guitar.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I used to use brass, but it put a scratch on the finish of my MIA Jazz Dlx. I will never use them again. Gator grips all the way from now on... I was royally p.o.ed at seeing that scratch.

8. I just use a black plastic one. Works just fine. Or a penny, like someone before me said, im not good with names.

9. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I used on for a while. Using a metal pick takes away the warmth a plastic pick gives, but yes, it does sound awsome with overdrive :D it also defines the note a HELL of a lot more.

But you do have to be careful...TMO33 ;)