metal picks?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jim primate, Oct 18, 2003.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

any of you pick players use metal picks? i've been using brass picks for about a year now i guess and i think they sound sweet. really good w/ overdrive and stainless steel strings. if you're into that sort of sound.
  2. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I just use pennies.
  3. jim primate

well i guess it's just me and you then.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I bought some "Hot Licks" picks back in the early 80s, dunno if they are brass or what. Well, they sure as heck don't wear out as fast as plastic picks :rolleyes: I still have all 6 that I bought then. I gave up using them because they gave me just too much edge.

Great for side of pick harmonic "squealers" ala Billy Gibbons, though :cool:
  5. jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    there are Graphite picks too.
  6. jim primate

i had some graphite ones. they wore out. take that. the hotlicks ones i think were copper. i have some. they're thinner than i'd like but they work alright for guitar.
  7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I used to use brass, but it put a scratch on the finish of my MIA Jazz Dlx. I will never use them again. Gator grips all the way from now on... I was royally p.o.ed at seeing that scratch.
  8. I just use a black plastic one. Works just fine. Or a penny, like someone before me said, im not good with names.
  9. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I used on for a while. Using a metal pick takes away the warmth a plastic pick gives, but yes, it does sound awsome with overdrive :D it also defines the note a HELL of a lot more.

But you do have to be careful...TMO33 ;)