Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metal Pickup Covers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Apr 5, 2005.

1. So what was the original purpose of the metal pickup covers that used to be found Fender and Rickenbacker basses?

I'm just curious if it was something other than cosmetic. I've been thinking about buying a Rick and I just can't figure out what the logic was when they put that big cover over the bridge pickup. It looks classic now but why did they put it there originally?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I know on the older Rics that the cover was the pickup magnet. On the fenders I don't really know... to sheild noise or something perhaps?

Ray

3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    With Fenders, both pick-ups were covered (the bridge p/u by the "F" cover) to help protect the pick-ups from......stuff.

4. they were used to cover the mutes that were fitted onto the 62 jazz(or delux bass as it was first called) next to the bridge pick up because they were considered unsightly and also that a piece of foam used to fitted across underside of them to kill sustain in an effort to make them sound more like up rights. I dont know the reason there fitted to other types and makes of guitars and bass's but its most likely to do with astetics.

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The Fender ashtrays covered the bridge and bridge pup, as well as the mutes, and the grounding strap. All of that was considered ugly. Note that the shape of a J pup is nothing to look at, it is purely functional, designed to mount the pup in a hole that is easily milled into the body. Similar case for strip over the neck pup on a J or P.

Remember, the Gibsons etc. that were competition at the time were a lot prettier.

And as stated, on the original Ricks, the big split bar on the bridge pup was a polepiece extension of the magnets.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    They were to prevent feedback.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    :smug:

Ray

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    On the original Ric split pup, those really are the magnet polepieces. The pickup doesn't function without them.

Here's a clip from the patent, showing the field lines.

Later Ric pups have a strap either for aethetic purposes (covers the pup), functional reasons (hand rest), or tradition (look like the old type)-- your guess is as good as mine.

Attached Files:

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    ...that's what I said in my first post. In a way I kinda wish they'd kept it like that, but in others I don't. I love the looks of 'em!

Ray

10. You put yer WEEEEED in there... ;)

11. The Fender one was really an ashtray. Really. ;)

At the end of the set you dump 'em out and then wipe down the bass... :D

12. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I heard the Fender ones were to prevent noise, but they didn't work. Or something like that. But they're shiny!