Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

metal pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Per, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Per

Per

Feb 15, 2006
    sweden
    hi, im looking for a pup that fitts to classic-metal and heavy rock and i also want it to be heard when i plays with the band,so you can hear the bass even when the guitars plays, and i really likes to play solos, both fast and and slows. so i need a real good pup where you can here the tones but is still heavy!:bassist:

excuse me if my english isn´t that great but i i hope that you understand what i looking for.

2. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    What kind of pups does it have? P? J? Soapbar? Fatstack? etc.

3. Per

Per

Feb 15, 2006
    sweden
    im building my own bass so it dosn´t matter

4. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I remember once someone said to me that Thunderbirds(humbuckers)and rickenbackers (some weirdo ric thing) are very good for cutting through in metal.

but IMO most basses are quite good for metal. for example

Opeth-Marcus miller jazz, maybe some other jazzes
    Metallica- rickenbacker, and some sadowsky jazzes. and that fernendes
    Motley crue-Thunderbird
    System of a down- thunderbird
    megadeth- ive seen him with a precision
    Pantera- some kind of spector.

So I dont really think that what style of pickup matters that much. Its more which individual model of pickup that really affects it, Eg. a bartolini jazz pickup or a dimarzio jazz pickup

also dont forget your technique, playing and how the rest of your band sounds.

5. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    EMG has been the standard for Metal for ages...or at least I thought so. All higher end BC Rich's, Jacksons, ESP's, etc., use EMG's.

6. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    +1 on EMG's, but If you're looking for passive P/J bass pickup you may also want to look into the Seymour Duncan Basslines pups as well. I'm getting a set of the P's to upgrade by SX soon.

Shawn

7. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Go Steve Harris and just use a P-bass.

8. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I think that a MM humbucker is very good for metal, high output, really cuts well in the mix. I would also try some Delano , those gerries has some giant poles jazz and P pups

9. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Basically, if you want something distinctive in a metal setting, you need something really, really ballsy and aggressive. EMGs don't really do that . . . they sound great, but I never understood why they were "metal" pickups . . . they just don't cut through two crunching guitars and a kickdrum . . . at all. They're very clean and sharp. EMGs seem suited much more to slap or something with cleaner guitarwork or lighter drums.

As for pickups that would help you cut through: Rickenbacker pickups are amazing for that, and great for solos . . . they're single-coils, though, so they hum quite a bit, but they're really hot pickups and would work perfectly in metal if you strung the bass with steel rounds.

Also, you might want to go for a P-pickup and a J-pickup, and have the J-pickup be a humbucker or something thick like that . . . maybe a P-pickup in the middle and a MM at the bridge? P's, depending on your setting, can be completely anonymous or right in your face. In fact, if you ever wanted to play something other than metal, the P-J or the P-MM combo would definitely be versatile enough to make that transition.

The most distinctive basses in metal, that I've heard were a P-bass (Black Sabbath), P-bass (Iron Maiden), a 6-string Yamaha thingy with active soapbars (Dream Theater), Rickenbacker (Metallica), Rickenbacker (Rush), and J-bass (Opeth) . . . for the most part, metal bands just let the bass rumble and leave it at that, but there are several (such as the ones mentioned above) that make the bass distinctive and an integral part of the music.

10. joshwilson3

joshwilson3

May 8, 2005
    Dimarzio X2N-B

11. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I use EMG's, and I cut through just fine. It's about how you EQ them that makes them cut. They give you a nice modern clean tone, but I distort them. There's a lot of bands who have bass players with EMGs who are more than just rumble. Listen to the songs on my band's webpage, and you can hear the bass distinctly. I only used one bass track as well, and I cut through without a problem.

Also, Rob Trujillo doesn't use a Ric. Neither did Jason Newsted. Cliff Burton only used a Ric some of the time. It's all about how you EQ them, and the EMG's cut through when EQ'd properly.

12. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

yeah metallica all use EMGs now, it says on the EMG site